recommend some colorful annuals?

trackmomOctober 31, 2013

We are next to the woods, with lots of deer damage and other animals, such as rabbits. i need to find some colorful, full-sun animal-resistant annuals for my pots. Licorice and dusty miller do well, but I want some color in the middle. Vinca and snapdragons work for a while, but I want color from Mother's Day until the end of September in those pots. Any suggestions? (p.s. I am finished with animal repellents. I'd rather just plant what they don't want.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agardenstateof_mind

Have you checked the Rutgers Cooperative Extension list of Landscape Plants Rated by Deer Resistance? Link below.

There's an old thread in the Annuals forum on this topic, where people submitted their suggestions:
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/annuals/msg051203399872.html

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Landscape Plants Rated by Deer Resistance

Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 7:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jensyen ( z7 MD )(7a)

Hi, I have the same problem here on the Chesapeake Bay Eastern Shore area. The annuals that I grow that animals seem to leave alone are:
Snapdragons
Calendula/Pot Marigold
Wallflower
Candytuft
Cock's Comb/Celosia
Sweet William
Coleus
Pansy
Love-in-a-Mist
Petunias
Salvias
Nasturtium
Short Zinnias & Cosmos
I know from past experience that if a deer is hungry enough it will sample anything. I haven't tried this but I've been told that plastic forks with tines facing up can be stuck in the pot to discourage grazing. Ouch!
I have to place knarly branches around my hostas to keep them away. I've about given up trying to plant hostas here. The only ones that are thriving are growing against the house foundation. Your potted plants may need to be closer to your house to keep them from being messed with. Maybe if you place a decorative plant stake in with your flowers it will discourage the deer. Squirrels are another story!
Hope you have better luck next Spring! Jen

Bookmark   November 23, 2013 at 3:08PM
More Discussions
any luck with "Bangle Spanish Gorse"?
I saw this plant on Wayside recently, and it might...
trackmom
Looking to add long blooming color to MD flower bed
Can anyone recommend a colorful perennial flower or...
kelly21409
Article on Rain Garden design
Hope this is the right forum: This Philadelphia landscaper...
jkom51
Houzz takeover not promising
So far this bites, but I did send them a comment email...
Larry Kahn
Port Wenn flowers (Doc. Martin show)
I see these pink flowers on the side of the road often...
maple_man
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™