First frost!

alfie_md6October 27, 2005

Not a hard freeze, and not everywhere in the garden, but definitely the first frost.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lvmygrdn(z7 MD)

The gardens were fine but I had to scrape the windows of the car and that I was not ready for.:-(

Bookmark   October 27, 2005 at 6:29PM
the_virginian(Zone 7 NoVA)

We haven't had any yet living as close to the Potomac River, but I hear that is going to change tonight with a harder frost everywhere.....darn I thought we could get to November before the first frost.

Bookmark   October 28, 2005 at 1:14PM
jenny_in_se_pa(USDA7 Sunset 32)

None up here in Philly yet thanks to the big city heatsink. In any case, a warmup is on the way for the next week or so!

Bookmark   October 29, 2005 at 8:04AM
laine713

I, too, had to scrape my car windows on Thursday, but I was out today and my Lantana, malva and cosmos are still blooming. I hope the hard frost is not until mid November, I still have bulbs to plant.

Bookmark   October 29, 2005 at 8:43PM
faerieannette(z7 MD)

I have some bulbs left too!!!!

Bookmark   October 31, 2005 at 8:56AM
kimka

I've planted bulbs as late as December 1. I just put them a little deeper and be sure and water them a couple of times. I still have some bulbs left to get in, even though I planted about 215 yesterday. Mostly daffs and crocuses as they seem to be the only things that escape the deer and the squirrels. I also put in 100 Scilla siberica along a stepping stone path.

Anybody trying some new bulbs this fall?

Bookmark   October 31, 2005 at 1:46PM
lvmygrdn(z7 MD)

I decided to try some anemone blanda. I only planted 50. I mostly planted hyacinths, crocus and tulips. I have lots of daff's. Next year I'm going to plant minature daff's. I'm always thinking ahead. :-)

Bookmark   November 1, 2005 at 5:54AM
braspadya(z7a MD)

I think that the first frost is likely to be tonight or tomorrow night.....but I am *really* hoping for another week of frost-free weather. There are a few brugmansias that are covered with flower buds that are just starting to open.

Keeping my fingers crossed, but bringing in the rest of the tender plants,

Dan

Bookmark   November 10, 2005 at 4:42PM
rainshine(z6-7 MD)

New bulbs: Yes, I'm planting some Chionodoxa Forbesii, Anemone blanda 'White Splendor', and Scilla pratensis in rather heavy shade. Wish me luck! Also Fritillaria pontica and Allium bulgarium in dappled shade. Comments?

FROST: I have a Canna that came back (planted in 2004). It's giving no indications of bloom or gloom. Any advice? Yes, very cold here and will be 32 degrees tonight.

Bookmark   November 11, 2005 at 8:37PM
runktrun(z7a MA)

Last night was the first frost it is so strange to see my 'Endless Summer' Hydrangea with bright blue flowers and frost bitten leaves. Katy

Bookmark   November 12, 2005 at 7:36AM
jenny_in_se_pa(USDA7 Sunset 32)

Still hasn't frosted here in Philly. Seems it may end up happening either by the end of this week or better, some time next week, at least based on the long range forecasts. Time to get some last minute cuttings!

Bookmark   November 14, 2005 at 7:03AM
the_virginian(Zone 7 NoVA)

My cannas are frost bitten and I will cut them down this weekend and mulch them over for the winter. I sure hope they come back.

Bookmark   November 14, 2005 at 3:46PM
aka_peggy(Central Md 6b)

1st frost here on Friday...last week. I have sooo many green maters. Been eating fried green maters for breakfast, lunch and dinner. yummm...

Bookmark   November 14, 2005 at 11:42PM
JohnnieB(Washington, DC 7a/b)

There has been no frost in the city yet. The last two nights have been unusually warm and today the temperature is 75 degrees today! That's all changing soon, with the temperature dropping into the 40's tonight and tomorrow, with a forecast low of 29 (yipes!) tomorrow night.

Bookmark   November 16, 2005 at 2:40PM
Larry Kahn(7b)

I wouldn't trust cannas to overwinter in the ground, though it's certainly possible. I'd play it safe and dig them up.

Larry

Bookmark   November 16, 2005 at 3:24PM
More Discussions
Raspberries or Blackberries for northern VA
Hi, Well I posted something about honeyberries and...
zendog
And my Insect Hotel
I think I'm using up tons of stuff that's "too...
CEFreeman
Honeyberries in DC area?
Hi, I'm considering adding a few honeyberry plants...
zendog
Houzz takeover not promising
So far this bites, but I did send them a comment email...
Larry Kahn
Looking for nursery for Ginkgo seedlings (bareroot)
i am looking for a wholesale nursery that will sell...
maple_man
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™