moon lore, gardening

loves_roses(z8a GA)May 26, 2003

MOON MAGIC by Lori Reid

I'm not saying this is true or not, but I thought y'all would be interested.

Quick Tips

ANNUALS: Begin planting the day aqfter the New Moon and up to the day before the 1st Quarter, when the Moon is in a fertile or semi-fertile sign. This will help plants to make short, shallow-lying roots and to establish themselves speedily.

BIANNUALS AND PERENNIALS: Begin planting the day after FullMoon and end on the day before the Last Quarter, when the moon is in a fertile or semi-fertile sign. This will help plants to establish themselves slowly and to develop long, strong roots.

WEEDING: Weeding and hoeing are best done between the Last Quarter and the New Moon, when the moon is in a barren sign. Avoid times when the moon is in a fruitful sign -- your weeding efforts won't last for very long.

SOIL CULTIVATION: Digging, plowing, or tilling the soil should be carried out with the decreasing moon and when the moon is in a barren sign, or the weeds will spring up again alltoo quickly.

TRANSPLANTING: Always transplant when the moon is increasing, between the New and Full Moons, and during a fertile moon sign.

GRAFTING: Grafts take best when the sap is rising and therefore when the Moon is waxing.

Want to hear more? Does anyone get in to all this? I have more to share if y'all are interested.

I don't know how much stock I put in it all, but it's cool to read about.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wolohobe

I like this kind of stuff, 'tho I don't always follow the rythms. I'd like to hear more garden lore. What is your source? Do you have reference books that you could point me to or do you just kinka know it/grew up with it? Is the first line in yer post MOON MAJIC by Lori Reid a book or is it you? sorry I'm dense sometimes.

I know there is a relationship btx the moon and the earth and us kritters that abode here upon. Through emperical evidence we (some friends and I) have experimented and found it to be so...

Anyway, looking forward to further tid-bits.

Bookmark   June 2, 2003 at 1:23AM
STROBE(zn 7b)

im interested. please post more moon lore! i love this kind of stuff.

Jackie/STROBE

Bookmark   June 28, 2003 at 2:07AM
Fleur(z5)

When is it best to take cuttings?

Bookmark   July 15, 2007 at 1:30PM
musicaldeity

I am interested as well...

Bookmark   May 22, 2008 at 12:03AM
thegardenpages

This is commonly called 'planting by the moon', or 'gardening by the moon' or 'garden astronomy'. It is probably as old as gardening itself.

The Old Farmer's Almanac has interesting info on it:
http://www.almanac.com/astronomy/

Here is a link that might be useful: The Old Farmer's Almanac

Bookmark   September 8, 2008 at 3:34AM
More Discussions
Irish Moss - Help
I have Irish Moss planted between stepping stones....
JimKY
Night-blooming cereus...feed?
My Night-blooming Cereus bloomed last year, just about...
delineavit
When to expect my moonflower to bloom
I'm curious ..... I started my Moonflowers in a 5"...
Murphette
better late. ...at last. ..moon vine bud
after starting moon vine seed inside before frost.two...
steilberg
Hybrid Mirabilis ?
This week I discovered a green-leafed four o'clock...
john3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™