Drainage help Baltimore area

brody99(z7 MD)October 19, 2006

Greetings all - I am looking for advice . I am planning a Japanese garden in our native hard pan clay. one particular area floods with heavy rain and i do not want my plants or patio to drown. Various contractors akk propose ruunning pipe from the area to a "lower area" about 100 feet away. Estimates ar $1000-4000. Yikes! Can an inepxerienced person work a trencher? Iknow no one can see my yard... anyone know a verifiably competent landscaper who does drainage? I hestiate to do anything until I know I have someone who will acyuallt solve my problem......

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Yes you can. They have some small trenchers so simple to operate even I can do it. Steve in Baltimore County

    Bookmark   October 19, 2006 at 7:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mdaughn(zone 7)

Make sure to call Miss Utility at least 48 hours before you start trenching. It can cost over $1000 in repair cost if you cut a utility line. I believe the service is free for homeowners.

Also, look up French Drains in a landscape book or on the net to get an idea what you need to accomplish.

    Bookmark   October 30, 2006 at 12:24PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Anyone in the D.C. area want a small hoop house?
I'm in the D.C. area this week and have this to give...
Nellie Stevens Hollies in Zone 6B?
I am looking for a relatively fast growing evergreen...
Not a serious Spring Swap post (yet)
Just wanted everyone to know that Henrietta called...
Larry K
waiting for spring!
I am so looking forward to Spring! I took a peek at...
Native Plant lectures in Baltimore area
Here is a link: http://www.bluewaterbaltimore.org/blog/2015nativeplantlectureseries/ I...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™