What is the smelly tree?

patinwi(zone 3 or 4)June 29, 2006

Can anyone tell me the name of the rather large trees that are blooming right now? They have hundreds of little clusters of blossoms hanging down from every branch and have a strong smell which is pleasant until you get too close to it. Pat

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rubybaby43(z4 MN/n. metro)

Linden Trees. The smell is wonderful!!
Kristy :)

Bookmark   June 29, 2006 at 9:51PM
patinwi(zone 3 or 4)

Thanks. I agree it is more pleasant than unpleasant and definitely noticeable from far away. Also called basswood. I found this interesting site about it.

http://www.nysite.com/nature/flora/basswd.htm

Bookmark   July 1, 2006 at 12:00AM

Also called basswood.

Interesting! I had no idea and we have one in our front yard. You learn something new everyday. What I do know is the fragrance on our tree makes my mouth water!

Bookmark   July 1, 2006 at 10:12AM
leftwood(z4a MN)

Young flowers and opening buds make a good tea. My relatives in Slovenia use it as their staple tea. But if you or your neighbor uses herbicides on your lawn, I don't know if I would gather it. A great pollen source for bees too!

Bookmark   July 3, 2006 at 7:44PM

Young flowers and opening buds make a good tea. My relatives in Slovenia use it as their staple tea. But if you or your neighbor uses herbicides on your lawn, I don't know if I would gather it. A great pollen source for bees too!

Tea, huh? I would have never thought of it. Our tree sure was loaded with all sorts of bees, wasps and other various insects!! I miss the smell already!

Bookmark   July 4, 2006 at 10:40AM
michele13bugs(4)

Yes, Lindens are really wounderful trees, when you stand under them it's almost like you are standing under an umbrella, they have somewhat of an openness inside the branches. We had two Lindens...basswoods, but woodpeckers pecked thousands of holes in one of them that shaded my porch and now it's dead. The otherone is doing fine, but I am watchfull they don't start on the remaining one, so far they havent.The only drawback of the tree is if they are planted too close to a deck or patio during the season they drop their flower thingies, it's really a mess, but they do smell wonderful.

Michele>^,,^

Bookmark   July 8, 2006 at 10:52PM
More Discussions
Hot Pepper Spray questions: making, affect on taste, effectivenes
Hi, I'm considering making some hot pepper spray to...
srj19
Peach Trees in Minnesota
I've heard of some people successfully growing peach...
rkinsella
What would you plant here?
Hi, I have a new house and I'm trying to get the foundation...
zone4newby
Seed Saving Workshop- rescheduled
Learn how to save seed correctly without misinformation...
little_minnie
Help ID'ing blue flowers
Some of you may remember my neighbor, Sara, who was...
jel48
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™