Egg eating rampage

rustico_2009November 13, 2012

Poor me, My chickens are on an egg eating rampage. I am doing some trial and error with roll away sub-floors. The hens are going after each others eggs while laying eggs and I am not sure some are not keeping their own eggs from rolling down...some kind of soccer game or something where they get to eat the ball. Do they do that?

It looks like the area the roll away to is going to have to block the chickens from dragging the eggs out somehow. These girls are serious about raw eggs. I have them on layer pellets and extra oyster shell.

Wish me luck and if you have any advice or encouragement I am all ears.

I'm afraid any modifications are going to create some other kind of unsuitable behavior.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cole_robbie(6)

Maybe this article will help. Some people had good luck with fake eggs - golf balls or wooden eggs. Someone else said to fill a partially broken egg with cayenne pepper and leave it for them to try.

Here is a link that might be useful: article

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 3:36PM
rustico_2009

There are 24 nesting boxes. The new roll away parts are a tilted false bottom. I may screw a golf ball or a false egg of some sort in the middle of each false bottom to discourage the habit of hunting for eggs. Thanks.

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 3:51PM
rustico_2009

There are 24 nesting boxes. The new roll away parts are a tilted false bottom. I may screw a golf ball or a false egg of some sort in the middle of each false bottom to discourage the habit of hunting for eggs. Thanks.

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 3:56PM
randy41_1

we got ceramic eggs that we put in the nest boxes but that doesn't always work. collecting eggs frequently works.

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 6:37PM
rustico_2009

I am not counting on the fake ones to work at stopping them from wanting eggs. The eggs will all be on roll-away soon. The idea is if the fake ones don't roll away they can attack them all day and hopefully that will help them lose the interest in going after each others eggs before they are even laid. Been collecting eggs as much as five times a day and it's been getting worse!They are stalking the boxes a lot.

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 7:05PM
rustico_2009

It looks like the egg roll aways are working. I culled one bird that was dragging the eggs out from under the cover. I did not get around to fake eggs yet and may not since it is working.

I'm still getting the eggs out as often as I can, but if the rampage is over, once a day in cool weather may work out, twice on hot days. Laying has dropped off too, due to shorter days. Still getting about 4 dozen a day from 98 birds.

Next time I ever build a flock the nesting boxes will have rollaway floors from the start.

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 3:32PM
amanodigma

egg roll always work

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 2:04AM
More Discussions
Micro Green mix help
Lately, I've been getting demand for micro greens in...
theripetomatofarm
Sprayer Value
Hi- I am thinking of buying a used mistblower sprayer,...
erniew
Gotta do something to increase sales, stay in business
This year was the worst yet, I've been doing this since...
2ajsmama
Emergency: using unvented propane in greenhouse - help!
Hey everyone, I'm hoping someone with some experience...
secondspring
Kalettes / Flower Sprouts
I'm sure a lot of you have heard the recent hype, or...
ekgrows
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™