Oriental Poppies question

doucanoeJune 15, 2013

My oriental poppes that I have had for about 8-9 years and have always produced loads of HUGE red flowers are looking a bit haggard this year.

I have two. One has no buds as yet, one has only four and they are smaller than normal.

I would assume the cold spring we have had plays a part, but I also am noticing that they seem to be in need of division. Kind of like Siberian Iris do when the center seems to die out and there is a "ring" of healthy plant.

So here's my question....do Oriental Poppies need to be divided, and if so, how often and in the same manner as other perennials.....dig, cut, replant?

Thanks.

Linda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
windytown(4)

I've always read they resent transplanting due to a long taproot. The one I have looks like it established a few babies by seed last year a couple of feet away from the mother plant.

Mine did not bloom this year either. Out weird weather must've caused it. The leaves look healthy but no flowers. So sad.

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 11:59PM
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

I'm happy to say my oriental poppies bloomed very well this year. Haven't had them long enough to know if they need dividing, only three years. I deadhead mine so don't know of they would come true from seed.

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 1:41AM
leaveswave(.)

I don't believe they need or benefit from dividing.

Many micro-climates were hard on them this past winter/spring. An off year every once in a while is to be expected.

Do you save seeds to sprout more?

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 6:14PM
windytown(4)

leavesweave, Wasn't sure if your question was meant for me or mnwsgal. Wish we could post responses in a way that makes sense. :(

Anyway, no I didn't save the poppy seeds. The babies are volunteers as I did not deadhead them last year. I like to let a few perennials (the less invasive ones) go to seed and see where they pop up. My back garden is my very informal garden, and you know what? It might just be the one I enjoy the most. :)

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 12:03AM
More Discussions
Have you grown foxglove or sweetpea from seed?
I was wondering, have any of you grown these from seed?...
primgal36
Hot Pepper Spray questions: making, affect on taste, effectivenes
Hi, I'm considering making some hot pepper spray to...
srj19
how late can I divide?
Hi all, Here's a question from your neighbor in North...
prairie_love
Minnesota Apples
Photo shows what I harvested today from the orchard...
soilent_green
Peach Trees in Minnesota
I've heard of some people successfully growing peach...
rkinsella
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™