Best cucumber varieties for a market?

deanriowa(4b)November 11, 2007

I am looking for a couple of good cucumber varieties to grow for a small discount store willing to offer some limited produce. What varieties do you grow and why?

I would like a good producer as well and also one that holds well.

thanks,

Dean

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paveggie(z5-6)

Do they want all slicers or would take a combination of slicers and picklers? In many situations, customers prefer the smaller pickler types for salads and other fresh uses. Lots of good picklers available. For a longer setting period choose a monoecious.

A nice slicer on a more restricted vine is 'Fanfare'. Would require some repeat sowing as the sets can be kind of concentrated.

Bookmark   November 15, 2007 at 12:17PM
nwl_me

I have found Lemon cucumbers to sell well to repeat customers, even as a "specialty" type cuke. Produce customers often buy what they know, so offering free samples helps. Lemon cukes are sweet, never bitter. Since they are round, even the small ones toward the end of the season can be packaged together as bite sized cucumbers for salads, etc. I harvest them right after all of the spines turn black.

Bookmark   November 30, 2007 at 2:10PM
tulsacityfarmer(6)

My favorite slicer is the Amira or Babylon, both a sweet never bitter,no need to peal cucumber. These are great early cucumbers and for a late season cuke I look at marketmore cuke.

Bookmark   March 1, 2008 at 3:44PM
mommagoose(z5 NY)

I raise pickling cucumbers and sell wholesale as well as retail. MY favorite pickling cukes are Regal from Harris Seeds. Cross Country from Stokes and Eureka which is available from several seed companies. Since I hand pick my cucumbers it is important that the cucumbers grow over the entire summer. My favorite slicing cucumber is General Lee. My market wants a smaller more slender slicer . General Lee is perfect for my market. Good Luck.
Linda

Bookmark   March 3, 2008 at 1:08PM
More Discussions
Tomato grafting
I've been thinking of trying it for a few years, and...
grow_life
electric mantis tiller?
I am thinking of getting one for use in hoop houses....
jnjfarm_gw
Hoss seeder
Anyone using a Hoss Seeder? Please post a review. Thanks...
whfpa
Sprayer Value
Hi- I am thinking of buying a used mistblower sprayer,...
erniew
One woman, seven acres
Hi there. I've been reading this forum for nearly eight...
briannaorg
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™