Acorns? where are they? (x-posted in Lawns Forum)

rai_in_md(7)November 17, 2004

I suddenly realized that I haven't seen a SINGLE acorn this fall. Has anyone else noticed this? Shouldn't they have dropped by now? Usually, I get a ton of them on the ground, then the squirrels eventually gather them all up after a month or so.

We had lot of cicadas this year. Maybe their 'pruning' decreased the acorn yield?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cecilia_md7a(7a/Baltimore,MD)

Large acorn crops come in 3- or 4-year cycles. Check out this article.

Here is a link that might be useful: National Wildlife article

Bookmark   November 17, 2004 at 3:08PM
jenny_in_se_pa(USDA7 Sunset 32)

What a fascinating article! Thanks for post Cecilia! :-D

Bookmark   November 19, 2004 at 10:28AM
swifty_mcgee(7B&32/Delmarva)

From Eastern Shore... 2003 was like hailstorms of acorns. 2004, they were here too just not so many. Just ask my lawnmower (yes, I mean the machine, not the person) Also, If you really want to know, wait until spring and look in the woods under Oak trees you should see plenty of seedlings.

Bookmark   January 8, 2005 at 1:19PM
lynnt(Z7 MD)

Another possible factor: squirrels. They were able to raise their entire litters this year due to the protein boost provided by all those cicadas. Then come fall, no insect snacks -- so greater inroads on other food sources such as acorns and my tulip bulbs, even though the latter are saturated with Ro-Pel. The little buggers are too warm to hibernate, and too hungry to pass up anything edible. They even tore open a small hole in the screen on my back porch to get to the bowl of dry catfood... yes, it wasn't the neighbor's mastiff -- too high off the ground for him.

LynnT

Bookmark   January 8, 2005 at 2:13PM
Mandyvilla(7a No.VA)

Great article! Unfortunately all of my oaks are on different cycles and we get bombarded every year. This year appears worse than ever. If someone could find a way to stop the drop of acorns, they would make a fortune! What a pain in the neck if you garden in the woods! Suz

Bookmark   January 15, 2005 at 12:32PM
treehouse(z7 MD USA)

The oak at school had tons of acorns. The kids' pockets were filled everyday after recess. I have an oak at home that has been here for @15 years and hasn't dropped any acorns in the 4 yrs I have lived here. How old does an oak have to be before it produces seeds?

Jan

Bookmark   January 17, 2005 at 11:22AM
beng(z6 western MD)

Jan -- depends. Very roughly, maybe 15-25 yrs, but varies w/species & conditions. The Northern Red oak @ my parents' previous place took about ~15 yrs, then started producing huge amounts every couple yrs. OTOH, a 55' tall (30 yr old) Pin oak on a friend's lawn has never produced more than a handfull.

Some hybrid oaks produce only after a couple yrs of age.

Bookmark   January 17, 2005 at 1:03PM
bulldinkie(pa)

Squirrels also I thought that too till I saw our donkeys and horses eatting them.

Bookmark   January 26, 2005 at 7:16AM
kirkiesgirl

OMG Im in mid michigan and do i have alot of acorns, so bad that I cant rake them up, we've mowed, racked, plucked it is insane the worst ive ever seen.

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 12:50PM
cynthia_gw

And other nuts too I'm sure. (6 year old post)

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 8:43PM
More Discussions
Jujuge Cuttings
For any jujube growers in the northern VA area, I have...
charlieboring
Sweet Potatoes Curled
This was my first year trying to grow sweet potatoes....
freedomeagle
Some account related stuff that people have been asking about
A couple of things. If you haven't figured it out yet,...
Larry Kahn
any luck with "Bangle Spanish Gorse"?
I saw this plant on Wayside recently, and it might...
trackmom
My new bed (Hugelkultur & Lasagna Gardening)
So last week I put this thing together. I used materials...
CEFreeman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™