Moonflowers

Deeyendra(zone 5)June 20, 2004

I live in Southeastern Nebraska, and am trying to grow moonflowers for the first time in a small garden. I know they can grow here, because my mother did it last year. I soaked the seeds for two days before I planted, but didn't put the seed down any particular way. I have sprouts in the garden with purple stems, but I'm not sure if they are the moonflowers, or just weeds! (This is my first gardening attempt, be gentle!) I was wondering if anyone had a picture of a plant that is about four or so inches tall or some way to identify it to know whether to pull them or not?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mcarol(z5 Michigan)

Deeyendra,
I would check out google images and look up a picture. I recently planted a moon flower but it was in a pot so I'm not sure what it looks like very small. It bloomed last week and was worth the wait. (I've tried from seed but have been unsuccessful.)

Bookmark   June 20, 2004 at 6:45PM
MKull(8 SATX)

Just so happens I soaked 8 moonflower seeds for a day and planted them two days ago. 3 are already visible and this is the largest one right now. I'll see how it looks after I get home this afternoon as well. Don't pull it yet!

Hope it helps!

Marc

Bookmark   June 22, 2004 at 9:14AM
Deeyendra(zone 5)

Well, that is definatly not what I have. I have weeds. :-( But thanks for everyones help! Next question: are there any tips to transplanting moonflowers from one garden to a pot? How large should the pot be?

Bookmark   June 22, 2004 at 1:31PM
MKull(8 SATX)

8 hours later

Bookmark   June 22, 2004 at 4:47PM
Deeyendra(zone 5)

Dang, it grows quickly, doesn't it?

Bookmark   June 22, 2004 at 9:11PM
More Discussions
better late. ...at last. ..moon vine bud
after starting moon vine seed inside before frost.two...
steilberg
Moonflower plant ....seeds
So when do you remove the seed pod and what should...
Ablinob
Irish Moss - Help
I have Irish Moss planted between stepping stones....
JimKY
Nightblooming tree
I'm in Australia NSW and have a evergreen tree in my...
kath79leen
Evening-Scented Stock
Very early last spring i planted a bunch of old seeds...
spazplant
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™