Market Stall Pictures

jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)November 2, 2011

I almost never get a chance to take pictures of our market stand in the summer. We are usually sooo busy, we are just lucky to get the produce on the table.

So at the last market, it started off very slow, so I took a few pictures. I also got a few picture from another market I attend.

I was missing some table cloths, (got left at home), but I think it still looked nice.

Opposite direction

Another Market

The season is over, but the online market and winter market season is really picking up!

Jay

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lovestogarden

Gorgeous!

Bookmark   November 2, 2011 at 6:54PM
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)

Here are the tomatoes and cherry tomatoes.

Bookmark   November 2, 2011 at 8:58PM
magz88(5a - Central Ontario)

Looks fantastic. I checked out your website - very nice, that butternut squash and bacon dish looks amazingly tasty.

Bookmark   November 3, 2011 at 8:48AM
teauteau(KC5/6)

Jay,
Your stuff always looks so cool! I really enjoy reading your posts and your produce and jellies look awesome. It makes me proud to see another Kansas farmer representing our state so well. So proud of you Jay! We are on our second order of jars as our jelly business is doing well here in KC. I have lots of competition so I concentrate on the unusual blends. Hoping to have a good year next year. Keep up the good work Jay!

Bookmark   November 7, 2011 at 5:41PM
little_minnie(zone 4a)

Very nice, good signage, nice supplemental info pages. Love the slanted baskets. I have tried setting that up before but I need someone to build me a cool system.

I am intrigued by the along the sidewalk market. I never though about that before. Usually you see markets in a parking lot not set up horizontally so to speak. That opens new areas to being the market location.

My one comment, not really a suggestion, is that market books say to try to use less plastic and more wood baskets and that customers buy more that way. They prefer the natural containers.

Bookmark   November 10, 2011 at 11:38AM

Thanks for all the nice comments. I would like to set up a nice display with wood baskets and the such, but it gets to be a time and space issue. When you are a one man show, you have to make choices.

My tomatoes are always in the plastic tubs. During the busy summer, I am usually swapping out those tubs every 15-30 minutes to a full one. Doesn't make sense to make the set up look pretty.

I probably use too many plastic bags for produce and I know that it is just what I have to do to keep everything looking fresh prior to market. During the school year, I have to load up everything prior to school in coolers. The bags make that possible.

Teauteau, Thanks! I am glad the jars are working out for you too!

Jay

Bookmark   November 10, 2011 at 3:17PM
myfamilysfarm

Square containers fit into a vehicle easier than the round baskets. After you get to a certain volume, you have to think about 'how to get more' into your travel vehicle. Some people don't have to worry about it, either by having a big enough vehicle, or not having enough sales to need to have more.

Marla

Bookmark   November 10, 2011 at 5:47PM
little_minnie(zone 4a)

Oh believe me it takes me the entire set up time to make things pretty! Then I get a ton of compliments but not all those people buy. I am aiming for a certain kind of customer though and they trust me and buy from me. Indeed I am always still finishing up when the bell rings!
Also our market does not sell per pound so we have to take from whatever vessel you transport in and put things into till baskets. Most of the other vendors will fill a few from a half or bushel basket and then leave the basket behind the till baskets and fill as needed. The two larger farmers next to me use a lot of plastic bins; one uses a lot of trugs. I use banana boxes for transport and then put out everything into squat baskets or crates or whatever.

Bookmark   November 12, 2011 at 3:25PM
More Discussions
Cash Rent for land
Quick question. I am looking for some ground to rent...
Gotta do something to increase sales, stay in business
This year was the worst yet, I've been doing this since...
2ajsmama
Sprayer Value
Hi- I am thinking of buying a used mistblower sprayer,...
erniew
Spinach harvest
Testing out these new forums, but I thought I would...
Selling Tomato Plants?
We have a small produce farm, and we sell everything...
tawnyap1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™