Starting new sun garden

thisismelissa(z4a-S Twin Cities MN)June 26, 2007

Ok, I'm starting a new sun garden and would love your opinion of the following plants:

In order of planting, back to front:

Red Twig Dogwood (in the far back)

Darts Gold Ninebark

Barberry Rose Glow

Nordine Smokebush

-Several variety of coneflower

: Sedum Purple Emporer (I think.... anyway, it's a wine color)

: Sedum Autumn Joy

: Assorted daylilly

^-----these make up the front area

This garden is going in the back corner of my suburban lot and is on a slight incline. Because of the incline and the location, and the fact that it gets all day sun, the area pretty much bakes! So, grass doesn't grow well there without lots of watering. As a result, I'm trying to plat a more drought tolerant area there. I'm willing to water it in well this year, but next year, I'd like it to hold its own!

Your thoughts please?

TIA,

Melissa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rdubow

My sedum -autumn joy- gets floppy if not watered on a reg. basis and it is well established. Coneflowers do fine without attention on a regular basis for me. I would also recommend black eyed susans/rudbeckia, those seem to take well with little water. Also, you could add some of the lime green hosta, those like the sun just fine and do great without attention!Oh...and yes.....daylillies...I never water mine and they hold their own VERY well (yet,....they are VERY common!)

Just my opinion....I am no expert like many on here but thought I would try to get some responses flowing for you!
bec

Bookmark   June 27, 2007 at 1:18AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
meeperx(z4/5 Mpls)

Here are a couple of thoughts...Dogwood-especially a variegated variety like 'ivory halo' might need a fair amount of water. The smokebush is probably the tallest shrub you have listed-so I would put that in the very back. Purple emporer is an awesome sedum-but I have mine in light shade and water it a lot-so I'm not sure how it would hold up with little water.

Russian sage, catmint and black-eyed susan would be other good choices in addition to the sedum, coneflower and daylilies. Maybe Joepye weed and karl forester feather reed grass as well?

You might want to look up xeriscaping for other plant ideas for our area...

Here is a link that might be useful: NDSU site - Xeriscape Plant Selections and Ideas

Bookmark   June 27, 2007 at 5:18PM
More Discussions
Hot Pepper Spray questions: making, affect on taste, effectivenes
Hi, I'm considering making some hot pepper spray to...
srj19
Wildflower seeds for Mn gardeners
I'm offering free seeds for Mn folks(and other upper...
dandy_line
apple trees
What should you do to keep apples from insects when...
andrew414141
Hop Vines at Local Nurseries?
Just wondering if anyone in Minnesota has come across...
soilent_green
how late can I divide?
Hi all, Here's a question from your neighbor in North...
prairie_love
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™