Moonflower - Blue Moon

hostarasta(z9)June 12, 2004

I saw some moonflowers at my local nursery that were labeled "Blue Moon." No one at the nursery knew if that meant the flowers would be blue... Does anyone out there in gardening land know anything about the "Blue Moon" variety of moonflower? Is it truly a blue bloom?

Waiting to hear from anyone...........

marlene in michigan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
suthronrose(z8 FL)

There are several traders here that have the lavender one and they report that it does not have a scent like the white one. "Katkin" from FL has seeds for the Blue and Lavender she planted recently. No word yet on if they are close to the same color or not. "Elise_W" has grown the lavender one as well. You might try contacting them directly to see if they know.
Hope that helps, I only have the white so if you get some seeds to either of the others holler at me I'd love to trade for some.

Bookmark   July 18, 2004 at 11:28PM
taylor_tx(zone 8 TX)

Was the plant a vine, like ipomoea alba, or was it a bush like datura?
Both are called "moonflower", so want to be clear.
What is the name of the nursery? What is the price?
If it is a blue variety of the fragrant white moonflower vine, then it is extremely rare.
The blue/purple moonflower bush(datura) is not.
-T

Bookmark   January 31, 2005 at 3:01PM
sasha73

to my surprise my first moonflower blooms have been bright blue. it's a vine, grown from what was supposed to be regular (white) moonflower seeds that I got at Meijer of all places. they only bloom at night, really late, so I only see them as their closing in the morning. once totally closed they actually look lavender from the outside.

is this the kind you are saying is extremely rare?? I feel very lucky as this is my first time successfully growing moonflowers, last year they never bloomed as I planted them too late. so how weird is that?

-sasha

Bookmark   August 13, 2007 at 1:32PM
jln375

Sasha i really hope you are able to get seeds from this vine but i am even more hopeful that you are willing to sell or trade some of them ;)
let me know!

Bookmark   August 22, 2007 at 11:07PM
mollie_daniels

Blue moon flower that would have to be the most beautiful thing to see, I have the common white color all u can find around here just getting started with the moon flowers this year only have two vines, a start from my mom who only had 6 vines herself. I have blue morning glories vining my porch so every morning i open my front door its the first site i see. Would love to have some blue moon flowers then i could see the beautiful site at morning and at night. before this year i could get no flowering plant to live for me now i am learning how.

Bookmark   September 14, 2007 at 11:04AM
blueeyes6446

I am desperate to get any Moon Flower seeds of any color bush or vine. Please help me.

Bookmark   September 27, 2007 at 3:51PM
micheleyobelle444

blueeyes6446, I think I'll have seeds to share from 3 different datura plants: a purple double-flowering datura, a white double-flowering datura (also called devil's trumpet) and a white single-flowering. All are the bush variety. I'd love to find a blue variety. I got my seeds from Onalee's Seeds website.

Bookmark   September 28, 2007 at 5:16PM
missdonna9769

I picked up a pack of moon flower seeds at walmart for .50â. They had a pic of the white moon flower. I woke up the other day and went outside just to see if I had any new blooms on any of my plants and was very surprised to see my first moon flower and even more surprised that it was a beautiful blue with a hint of red or pink on some edges and white and yellow on the inside. Have yet to be able to find a pic anywhere of another one.
Can't wait til the rest of the buds bloom just to see what color they are..

Bookmark   August 30, 2014 at 3:11AM
Ninkasi(6ish Germany)

That is stunning! Beautiful flower.

Bookmark   August 30, 2014 at 3:23AM
More Discussions
My Moonflowers!! :'(
So I finally got around to planting moonflowers along...
Thrice
Evening-Scented Stock
Very early last spring i planted a bunch of old seeds...
spazplant
Moonflower blooms
Here it is the middle of August and I have no blooms!...
dinkeydot
trying the moonflowers inside again
I thought I would try to grow moonflowers indoors again,...
nopets
Hybrid Mirabilis ?
This week I discovered a green-leafed four o'clock...
john3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™