Poncirus trifoliata ' Flying Dragon'

oath5(z6b/7a MD)November 25, 2007

Is this cultivar fast growing? I really like the idea of the curved branches and thorns adding to the appeal of this shrub during the fall and winter. I have never seen one in Maryland before, but since it appears to be quite hardy, I decided I'd like one since it's rather unusual, however I've heard that 'Flying Dragon' is rather slow growing and a dwarf, compared to the regular trifoliate which grows rather quickly so I'd like some clarification if that's true or not.

Does anybody have experience with it here in the Mid-Atlantic? Does it or the regular trifoliate have to be sprayed with anything?

Thanks, much appreciated.

- Max

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

I have a few that I started from seed. To me they seem fairly slow growing but I think they are worth the wait. Mine have not been bothered by any pests and I've never had to treat them with anything. I pretty much ignore them and they are doing just fine. Henrietta has some nice sized FD's in her garden. I'm not sure how long she's had them. I've never grown the regular trifoliate sour orange except as rootstock on some of my dwarf citrus.
Karyn

Bookmark   November 26, 2007 at 8:42PM
oath5(z6b/7a MD)

Sounds good, thank you for your input Karyn.

-Max

Bookmark   November 27, 2007 at 10:34AM
aka_peggy(Central Md 6b)

My FD was exactly 3' tall when I planted it in July '04. It's now 6'. Taller than that if you consider the half dozen or so sparse branches at the top. I don't consider that terribly slow growing. Mine produced lots of fruit 1st time this year and it's never been bothered by insects. Btw, it's still holding on to all it's leaves but they're starting to yellow up.

I got my tree from Edible Landscaping outside Charlottesville, Va. They have a beautiful specimen there that was about 10' when I saw it last 2 yrs ago. Nice day trip from where I live just west of Frederick.

Bookmark   November 29, 2007 at 1:39PM
EricEden(z7 MD)

There is a quite beautiful and muture example of this plant/tree at the bartholdi park garden near the US Capitol in DC, just of Independence Avenue - it grows quite wide and those enormous thorns are at adult person eye level - you could really loose an eye if you are not careful near this plant, so I would suggest that you not plant near any areas where there are lots of pedestrians... - Eric

Bookmark   November 29, 2007 at 1:43PM
More Discussions
Green winged things
HI all! I see how dead the board is these days and...
CEFreeman
And my Insect Hotel
I think I'm using up tons of stuff that's "too...
CEFreeman
Not a serious Spring Swap post (yet)
Just wanted everyone to know that Henrietta called...
Larry Kahn
Some account related stuff that people have been asking about
A couple of things. If you haven't figured it out yet,...
Larry Kahn
Honeyberries in DC area?
Hi, I'm considering adding a few honeyberry plants...
zendog
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™