Shallots

bucks(9 Arizona)November 15, 2012

I am thinking about growing these to sell and I know nothing about them. I have had good luck with my garlic and onion sales, but I just do not know what kind of demand there is for Shallots. I also do not know where I need to be on pricing as I sell everything buy the pound. I get $5 for garlic and $2 for my onions right now to my coops that I sell to. However I was told by one coop that they could buy onions for $.76 a pound! Funny though some of the customers perferred mine. It is just tough going up against the bigger guys shipping to Arizona from California.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brookw_gw

For me, shallots are a specialty item that will either be hit or miss. I plant a few lbs every year and always sell out. You can plant them either spring or fall. Unlike garlic, shallots seem to do as well spring planted as they do in the fall--at least in my experience. I experimented w/leeks on a fairly large scale this year and also sold out of them. It can never hurt to plant a few as a test and adjust that amount in the future.

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 5:28AM
rustico_2009

I just ordered 5lbs of shallot bulb sets for southern California growing, other vendors say they plant them year round. These are french red. I'd like to grow them from seed but have not found them yet for my latitude.

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 3:37PM
fancifowl(5Pa)

I retail them @ $3.00 per pint at market and always sell out. 2 years ago I began to grow a lot more and began selling at produce auctions where I dont do nearly as well but get about 1-2$$s per quart. still kinda profitable but not nearly as nice as retail! I only grow the larger dutch types now.

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 2:53PM
rustico_2009

My shallots for planting arrived. I am breaking the bulbs apart to plant them and getting concerns. Most of the dried root stays with one section while the other is pure exposed meat of the scallion.Looks destructive? Is this how it goes?
Maybe they are not supposed to be broken down to every single clove like garlic?

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 3:41PM
More Discussions
Hoss seeder
Anyone using a Hoss Seeder? Please post a review. Thanks...
whfpa
Winter market 2015
Last week during the first winter thaw here I cut forsythia...
jebfarm
Finding the right market
Other thread getting too long and going in too may...
2ajsmama
Tomato grafting
I've been thinking of trying it for a few years, and...
grow_life
Micro Greens -- Profitable?
I would like to hear from anyone growing and selling...
heirloom_lady
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™