Ipomoea alba 25' and not flowers?

woburJuly 28, 2007

My 4 vines were planted from seed in mid-April in a 14" pot. They get several hours of direct sun and several of filtered sun on a hot deck...temps often in the 90s. They grow up bamboo stakes and in to my ash tree and are now app. 25' long, with the first 15' being vertical and the last partly horizontal. i did not pinch them and they don't have any side branching. NO hint of buds yet, but some new leaves forming in the leaf axles. I water them every day and have not fertilized except for the pelleted, time released fert I mixed in with the potting soil when I planted the seeds. Is there anything I can do to encourage bloom or is it just a matter of time if I keep my fingers crossed? Thanks! Wobur

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Patches(Southern Ontario-7)

Hi Wobur ... .it is my experience that morning glories and members of the Impomoea family do NOT like really great soil. The very best moonflowers and morning glories I ever had were in what I would term really bad soil that had been reused for about 5 years. The bigger the leaves grow and the more plentiful, the fewer the blooms. This year is a bad year for aphids and thrips up here in TO ... but in spite of that, plus depleted light (building going up across from me!) I have 12 buds on just ONE of my moon flower vines. Keep your fingers crossed for sure...it may happen yet.

Bookmark   July 30, 2007 at 7:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arjo_reich

sprinkle a little bonemeal around their flowerbed and water it in...the sudden boost in P should put them into fruiting mode.

watch out though, bonemeal/bloodmeal has been known to attract wildlife looking for a free meal, lol.

Bookmark   August 7, 2007 at 2:32PM
More Discussions
Moonflower plant ....seeds
So when do you remove the seed pod and what should...
Ablinob
Moon Flower Vine Blooms?
Hi! Hope someone can help me here. I planted my moon...
rommy
Why is my moon flower wilting?
A friend of mine gave us a moonflower, we planted it...
vcarousel
Moonflowers open during Daytime??
I have some moonflower vines growing in a semi large...
whitejade
When to expect my moonflower to bloom
I'm curious ..... I started my Moonflowers in a 5"...
Murphette
Sponsored Products
Glen White Rose Wreath
Grandin Road
Area Rug: Delano Chocolate 8' x 11'
Home Depot
Tiffany Flower Design Sea Shell Shade Wall Lamp
ParrotUncle
Ikebana Milk Jar - Set of 2
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
30-inch Frosted Berry Wreath with 100 Clear Lights-UL
Overstock.com