Stunted moonflower vine

kateanne(11)July 16, 2013

I planted moonflower seeds in pots with some morning glory in may on my lanai here in honolulu, I was afraid it might be too hot but the seedlings all came up quickly. The morning glories are doing pretty well, the vines are a couple feet long and budding already, but the moonflower plants don't seem to be growing at all. They are still working on their third set of leaves and no more than 3 inches high. As well, the leaves are irregular, kind of spiky shaped hearts. I at one point noticed that the undersides of the first seedling leaves had white powdery bug residue, so I clipped those off. The plants don't look unhealthy, just stunted. Did I plant too late in the season?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
princesspea(sunset14)

Moon flowers are tough to get started in my garden too. They take a lot of heat so you should have no trouble there. Maybe the more vigorous morning glories are stealing their thunder! Mine look delicate and weak next to the morning glories but once they get started they do grow. Right now my glories are nine feet long and covered with flowers, the moonflowers are eighteen spindly inches but are at last setting buds. The spiky heart shape leaves sound right. Mine sulk if not pretty soggy, I live in windy dry San Jose. Try a boost of fertilizer and plenty of water, and clear away some morning glory leaves if they are muscling in.

Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 8:09PM
More Discussions
Why doesn't my night blooming jasmine fill the air with scent?
It has bloomed a couple of times now, but the scent...
sunrisegirl
How to start Moonflower from seeds?
The seed package says that it only takes 8-10 days...
Sunflowerpoet
Irish Moss - Help
I have Irish Moss planted between stepping stones....
JimKY
Moon Flower Vine Blooms?
Hi! Hope someone can help me here. I planted my moon...
rommy
Moonflower plant ....seeds
So when do you remove the seed pod and what should...
Ablinob
Sponsored Products
Canterbury Arbor - 54" Opening
Fifthroom.com
18" Flower Vine Hammered Copper Sink
Signature Hardware
Vining Mixed Greens with Decorative Stand Silk Plant
Overstock.com
Bellissimo Downlight Chandelier by Quoizel
$349.99 | Lumens
Uttermost Adalina Mirror
Beyond Stores