Can I grow Bougainvillea in zone 7A Maryland?

wannabegardnr(7 Maryland)December 20, 2012

I love the look of Bougainvilleas. However, I live in the DC suburbs of Maryland, in zone 7A. Is anyone else zone pushing with these?
I was thinking of attempting to grow them outdoors against a south facing brick wall - this place stays warm - with added winter protection like wrapping. I would be okay if it behaves like a perennial, provided I get flowers. Is this possible? Which varieties would be appropriate?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davidrt28 (zone 7)

No, it may not come back from the ground, and if it does it will barely have time to bloom. The good news is it can be grown in a container:

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.chron.com/life/gardening/article/Bougainvillea-101-Most-asked-questions-1733927.php

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 8:43PM
afbq(7)

I love bougainvillea too. They are so beautiful and remind me of the warm, sunny tropics. I tried several times to grow them here and each time they died. :(

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 3:35PM
jadie88(7 MD)

Oops, just noticed this was posted months ago! Oh well...

Hopefully you'll luck out! funny thing is, I just got back from visiting my parents on the Texas Gulf Coast, where we spent a good amount of time whacking back a monstrous bougainvillea that had swallowed an entire planting bed (again) and a bay window to boot. They would love to grow some of the spring bloomers and perinneals we grow up here... we always want what we can't grow, huh?! :)

This post was edited by jadie88 on Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 15:07

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 3:06PM
More Discussions
Ok, I've got this bird...
that by all glimpses and pictures, indicates it might...
CEFreeman_GW
My new bed (Hugelkultur & Lasagna Gardening)
So last week I put this thing together. I used materials...
CEFreeman
Green winged things
HI all! I see how dead the board is these days and...
CEFreeman
Honeyberries in DC area?
Hi, I'm considering adding a few honeyberry plants...
zendog
And my Insect Hotel
I think I'm using up tons of stuff that's "too...
CEFreeman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™