Promoting our Winter Market

jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)November 25, 2012

Hello,

I was wanting to know what other ways, other than word of mouth, that I can promote our winter market coming up this Saturday. Our market manager quit at the end of October, so she isn't doing anything. The market president and secretary are suppose to put ads out in the paper, but I am not sure if it is being done. They are both very nice people, but sometimes they just don't get things done.

I use to be the voluntary Facebook page manager and I would promote it that way, but the old market manager took over the admin rights and she won't talk to me about giving them back to me. We have 1600-1700 "friends" so I know we could reach them, if she would do it or let me do it. She also took down the market website.

I am sending out emails to everyone I know in the town and asking them to share the information with everyone they know. I have posted the information on every Craigslist page I could. I have asked for the information to be included on every community page/information on every newspaper and radio station around.

I am thinking about making a huge sign, 4 feet by 8 feet, that says "FARMERS MARKET TODAY" with an Arrow and the name of the building it is at at the corner of the busy street and the street it is on.

I know all these things should be getting done by someone else, but I can't afford to have another poor winter market day. It is suppose to be a wonderful day, weather wise, but we need customers!

Any ideas would be nice.

Thanks,

Jay

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cole_robbie(6)

Dealing with those management issues can't be easy.

Be careful not to step on any toes with the sign. There are often a lot of city codes regarding signs and their placement. Signs that are either held in the hands of a pedestrian or attached to a moving vehicle tend to be exempt from those rules. The Little Caesar's pizza in my town hires a guy to dance around an intersection while waving their sign. He's been there for years. They also sometimes pull a big sign on a trailer on busy roads. Campaigning politicians like that trick, too.

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 1:45AM
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)

I guess all I had to do is wait. The market manager finally gave me admin rights back on the Facebook site, yea!

About the sign, we have a sign there already, we are just at an indoor location, one block south. It is going to be a nice day, maybe I can have my wife and kids stand out there and wave signs.

Jay

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 8:09AM
cole_robbie(6)

I like that idea. Make them wear high-vis yellow safety vests. It makes them safe and more noticeable.

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 11:52AM
More Discussions
Micro Greens -- Profitable?
I would like to hear from anyone growing and selling...
heirloom_lady
Spinach harvest
Testing out these new forums, but I thought I would...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Winter market 2015
Last week during the first winter thaw here I cut forsythia...
jebfarm
purple plants better than green in winter
this is the first full winter season for growing in...
grow_life
Emergency: using unvented propane in greenhouse - help!
Hey everyone, I'm hoping someone with some experience...
secondspring
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™