Hakonechloa macra

cnord(4)July 3, 2007

Has anyone planted, and had luck growing this grass in our climate? I am thinking of trying it since I have lots and lots of shade gardens. I love the soft mounded look of it but all the web sites say the hardiness is not Zone4. Supposed to be a new variety "All Gold" that is more winter hardy. I live in Minneapolis and it would be on an east facing slope. Maybe I will buy 1 and see if it comes back next spring. Nothing to lose but money and a tiny bit of Gardener's Hope!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kms4me

I've grown hakonechloa macra albostriata and aureola for over 15 years with no hardiness problems with either, though I've lost a lot of supposedly hardier grasses in that time frame.

kms

Bookmark   July 3, 2007 at 11:43AM
tedb_threecedarfarm(Z4/5)

I've grown it gold/green variety for year - no problem. They use at the arboretum and at noremburg gardens a lot. It is a bit slow to get going.

Last year I planted the all green straight species, hoping it would be a bit more vigorous. It might have been, but rabbits at it back several times this spring.

I think this is a Z4 plant and Mpls is mostly Z5 anyway. Go for it!

Ted

Bookmark   July 4, 2007 at 10:06AM
laurampls(4 MN)

Gold, green and variegated are all hardy for me in South Minneapolis. I use oak leaf mulch on some but not all, and the unmulched clumps have always pulled through, including a couple of winters back when January went from 40 to -10 with no snow cover.

You will really enjoy this grass. It takes a couple of years to become a large clump, but even when it's small it is beautiful.

Laura

Bookmark   July 12, 2007 at 5:04PM
leftwood(z4a MN)

Many people grow it here, and also many people have problems. So it may or may not work for you. All Gold has been around for a while now, and yes, I do find it hardier than the variegated types. Al Gold produces many flower (seed) heads, and I think they are very ornamental. Leave them grow and see what you think.

Bookmark   July 13, 2007 at 8:37PM
hostaholic2 z 4, MN

I'm one of the people who has had trouble growing it. Have not been able to get it to survive a winter in my gardens. But I'm out on the prairie with lots of wind to dry things out. I know of several people who grow it with no problem.

Bookmark   July 13, 2007 at 11:17PM
More Discussions
Yellow Ribbon Arborvitae
I am looking for a Yellow Ribbon Arborvitae. Looks...
stuckInMN
Garden Club in Northern Suburbs
Looking for a garden club. Would like to find a group...
doucanoe
how late can I divide?
Hi all, Here's a question from your neighbor in North...
prairie_love
What's the productive lifespan of Zuchinni and Squash in MN?
I'm working in a community garden and of course there...
srj19
Hot Pepper Spray questions: making, affect on taste, effectivenes
Hi, I'm considering making some hot pepper spray to...
srj19
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™