Moonflower seeds

suzysparklesalot(Z5 Upper Michig)August 6, 2005

Hi Everyone,

I have about 6 moonflower plant that I recently bought for my work in progress moongarden.

My question is one of the plants has a weird bulgy sack on the side that I assume are seeds. When do I take that off and how do I do it. Will it turn color when it's time.

I'm also wondering if my offer plant will grow seed pods like that? THese plant are not flowering at all. I assume they are just an annual.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Sue

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jscanlin(z7NY)

Sue, the "sack" might be a flower bud - before you can see the actual flowers, they look like little bags with curvy horns at the top. If it is a seed pod, it will turn brown when the seeds are ripe. I'd recommend waiting a bit to see if the rolled up flower bud appears out of the sack.

They are annual plants in colder zones, although they appear to be perennial in the tropics. I'm thinking of trying to overwinter the roots of one of my vines this winter, just to see if it will work.

Best,
Jen

Bookmark   August 17, 2005 at 12:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sodbuster(7 OK)

I have found that if you wait until the pods are brown to harvest them it is too late........they pop open, then turn brown. I have saved over 300 pods so far.....

Bookmark   August 23, 2005 at 10:02PM
More Discussions
Why is my moon flower wilting?
A friend of mine gave us a moonflower, we planted it...
vcarousel
Hybrid Mirabilis ?
This week I discovered a green-leafed four o'clock...
john3
My Moonflowers!! :'(
So I finally got around to planting moonflowers along...
Thrice
Moonflower plant ....seeds
So when do you remove the seed pod and what should...
Ablinob
Moonflower vine question?
I need help. Anyone knows the name of this moonflower?...
pat44th
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™