Green bean leaves stripped

jel48(Z4 Michigan)July 14, 2014

My son (near Rochester) has a veggie garden for the first time this year. He says that all of the green bean leaves are being stripped off, leaving the stem, or most of it anyway. Seems to me that rabbits would eat the stem too. Has anyone else had this problem, and does anyone have any idea what might be doing it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

Sounds like deer stripping. The leaves will likely grow back and plants still give a crop of beans. This happens to my pole beans every year. Here the deer mostly eat the leaves that are at their height plus the beans are behind a fence so they don't eat the lower leaves or the ones inside the fence though occasionally they will jump over this three foot high fence and eat leaves on both side of the bean trellis. They don't eat all the leaves just some. It does look odd with the vines and bare stems sticking out. They don't eat the beans.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 5:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
may8(Z4 MN)

Rabbits eat beans too. We do not have deers here, but the rabbits eat beans as soon as they come up. For the last few years I started my pole beans in pots and planted them in the ground when the stalks get tough, and stuck some dead branches around the base. This year, however, they even ate some of the stalks from the bottom. I have not figured out how to protect bush beans, other than fencing them in. Rabbits will strip the whole plants up, tough or not.

Rabbits eat our raspberry stalks to about 1" from the ground almost every winter. When they did, like last winter, we won't be getting much berries at all. Otherwise, we should have a good crop. I wish there is a good way to get rid of them.

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 1:34PM
More Discussions
Prepper Expo gardening class
I will be teaching the seed saving classes at the Survival...
little_minnie
Fairy Garden
If there is anyone that knows anything about fairy...
Minnesota_Grandma
clivia
I have a huge yellow clivia for free
lonemuchow
Yellow Ribbon Arborvitae
I am looking for a Yellow Ribbon Arborvitae. Looks...
stuckInMN
Wildflower seeds for Mn gardeners
I'm offering free seeds for Mn folks(and other upper...
dandy_line
Sponsored Products
Freejack River Rock Wedge Pendant
Lightology
Corinthian Column Outdoor Side Table, Patio Furniture
$495.00 | FRONTGATE
Jens Bench
Design Within Reach
Floral Burst Outdoor Wall Art
Grandin Road
Ktribe F2 Floor Lamp by Flos Lighting
$995.00 | Lumens