Can you believe this weather???

applefanJanuary 15, 2005

I know the standard advice for Chicago...If you don't like the weather today, just wait till tomorrow...But this is the craziest I have seen in my many years in Suburbia! In Naperville we went from 56 on Wednesday to 8 today. I sincerely hope this is not affecting my plants. I did read that even if bulbs were starting up they would not be affected. Any thoughts??

Jean

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Janine Starykowicz

Just over the Indiana border here, it was 66 on Wednesday. I spread the rest of the stored up coffee grounds, added some bubblewrap around pots in the garage. I've got lots of sprouts too, hope they're alright.

Tuesday should be back to average, I can't wait.

Bookmark   January 15, 2005 at 2:31AM
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

It really is crazy, isn't it?

4 weeks ago I was having such a good time playing with my compost piles & making raised beds. Those activities were put to a halt because of the weather.

The daffodils were sending up shoots. The Dutch iris were 6"-7" tall. Now they're all frozen.

I am waiting for Brent & Becky's summer catalog to come out so I can order some more lilies......

At least it is sunny...not as gloomy as November, though. sigh...

Just put on another layer of clothes to keep myself warm.... :-(

Bookmark   January 15, 2005 at 12:24PM
applefan

I just settled on my tomato seed order...Hope Springs Eternal...(no pun intended!)
Jean

Bookmark   January 16, 2005 at 12:17AM
Kat

I've read that if your bulbs start coming up and you get really cold weather, the leaves may get damaged. The flowers should be ok unless there are buds, then they may be damaged or die. I've had my irses come up early a few times and then it would get really cold. Some leaves got crinkled, but that was it. They bloomed fine when they were supposed to.

Kat

Bookmark   January 17, 2005 at 1:24AM
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

I just went through the Winter Sowing forum. Great idea!

I am going to try that as soon as I can get out to Menards or Home Depot for soil!!!

Bookmark   January 17, 2005 at 6:58PM
birdsnblooms

The day it was 67 was a tease..this is totally depressing, 3 degrees at 11:30pm. I don't know how ppl do it in colder climate areas..Toni

Bookmark   January 18, 2005 at 12:29AM
aphilla

There are colder climate areas?

Bookmark   January 25, 2005 at 9:44PM
applefan

Yep! I heard someone from Minnesota on the radio the other day...something like 38 below! It must be really beautiful in the summer there...I don't think that would make up for the winters for me....
Jean

Bookmark   January 25, 2005 at 11:26PM
applefan

I just spent a very pleasant 2 hours outside doing my early spring cleanup! I have a hard time cutting back plants that are still green in the fall...the very cold weather zapped them and I was able to snip away at my heart's content in the gorgeous Feb. 5 sunny 50 degree weather. I noticed some crocuses starting up again...I suppose they will just sit there when we go back to colder weather. It certainly felt good to be gardening again...
Jean

Bookmark   February 4, 2005 at 3:22PM
piegirl(z5NELin)

Ditto applefan - 61 here today so I spaded quite an areas, ouch to the back, then took the pruners to the raspberries - I filled two garbage cans with dead canes, etc. Pulled out tons of ground ivy. Hope to be digging again tomorrow, also put loads of laundry on the clothesline. Piegirl - looking forward to no snow or ice.

Bookmark   February 4, 2005 at 10:24PM
applefan

I just checked your My Page and you have great temps in Nebraska...sure hope they are coming to Chicago Suburbia. I can't wait to get outside every day!!!
Jean

Bookmark   February 5, 2005 at 1:26AM
mrmorton(z5 IL)

Similar to Applefan, I have a hard time cutting certain plants back before winter. Saturday was so beautiful. I was able to get everything(minus grasses, sedum, misc.) cleaned up and cut back. Three yard bags full. Nothing but a big tease, though, as cold weather is settling back in.

Bookmark   February 7, 2005 at 4:14PM
More Discussions
Cukes and Dill
Good Morning! Does anyone have a good estimate of when...
PalmieJill
Transplanting peonies, hydrangea now?
I would like to move some peonies and plant one hydrangea....
dan_in_winfield
moving perennials with some disease
Bought a hydrangea very cheap this summer ... Cheap...
dan_in_winfield
Please name this plant
Bought a home and this is growing in the yard in several...
snowburd
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™