Evening-Scented Stock

spazplant(8)August 14, 2012

Very early last spring i planted a bunch of old seeds i had lying around and none of them survived, except this one. i didn't know what it was & left it all alone in its little pellet. it survived total neglect. this spring i put it in my nice little swan planter. it flourished easily. i didn't know what i was smelling at night & finally figured out it was this old evening-scented stock i got in the mail from canada. it's my new favorite plant & i'll order seeds in bulk next time & plant them all over my porch. i'm so proud of this species. what a champ. it looks shriveled up in the pic b/c it's still day. at night it blooms & smells intoxicating, a balmy mix of spiced rum & vanilla.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Need2SeeGreen(10 (SoCal))

That's gorgeous. What is the formal name for it, do you remember? It doesn't look like what I thought stock would look like.

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 8:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jennifer_Ruth(Z 10, Sunset Z 23)

I realize this is an older post, but if you are still wondering what this plant's formal name is, I believe it is Matthiola bicornis (synonym Matthiola longipetala subsp. bicornis). Common names are evening stock or night-scented stock.

This is the first time I've ever come across a photo that showed the whole plant instead of just the blossoms. Thanks, spazplant!

Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 8:13PM
More Discussions
Moonflower blooms
Here it is the middle of August and I have no blooms!...
dinkeydot
Moonflowers open during Daytime??
I have some moonflower vines growing in a semi large...
whitejade
moon flower newbie
I was thinking of trying to grow moon flowers, they...
liz62
moon flower BUSHES
I just found this forum.....I'm sure it has been here...
Jan_Hobbs
trying the moonflowers inside again
I thought I would try to grow moonflowers indoors again,...
nopets
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™