Favorite best scented shrubs for zone 5 or colder

jamlover(z4 Iowa)January 11, 2005

I am just getting into shrubs. Have lots of perennials and would like to add shrubs to the beds. Am interested in knowing your best fragrant shrubs for zone 5 or colder.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stinkypink(6)

It's hard for most Midwesterners not to think of lilacs, and they're among my favorites too, but for that first hit of spring perfume, I really like my viburnum. I used to have a star magnolia I really liked the scent of too, and while mock oranges smell divine later in the season, I've never found them to be the world's most dependable bloomers. People keep saying that witchhazel smells nice, but I'm never all that interested in tromping through the snow to sniff them up.

Bookmark   January 11, 2005 at 3:05PM
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

I like my:

- Buddleia fallowiana 'Lochinch' (considered the most fragrant butterfly bush by many posters in another forum).

-Syringa meyerii 'Pallibin' (small leaved Lilac, no problem with powdery mildew).

-Viburnum juddii is considered the most fragrant. Mine is still too small. Has not bloomed yet.

-Forthegilla gardenii 'Mt. Airy' (sp?) has slight fragrance, but beautiful fall foliage.

I also planted other non fragrant shrubs that give long fall/winter interest like Redtwig dogwood, Red/orange/yellow twig dogwood, Viburnum with red berries, snowberry, Beautyberry, forsythia, Pussy willow, Curly willow, Coral Embers willow.

If I had room, I would plant more varieties of Viburnum with berries, winterberries & witch hazel as well as winter honeysuckle (Lonicera fragrantissima)..... but those are only on my wish list as I no longer have room in my garden. :-(

Happy gardening.

Bookmark   January 11, 2005 at 3:15PM
jamlover(z4 Iowa)

Pitimpinai, What color is that buddleia? Hope it is also one of the more hardy ones!! And a lilac without mildew!! Bring it on. Color?
Stinkypink, any particular mock orange or viburnum? I'm really on the line between zone 4 and 5 so not so far removed.

Bookmark   January 11, 2005 at 9:29PM
bellarosa(z5/IL)

I love lilacs. I have two wonderful varieties: Miss Kim and Donald Wyman. Both are disease free and have a great fragrance.

Bookmark   January 11, 2005 at 10:31PM
stinkypink(6)

I wish I knew which viburnum I have--it's been at this house much longer than I have, and I imagine it's some really common variety that's been sold for 20 years or more. It's next to a very lovely, old, floriferous kolkwitzia/beauty bush, which I'm also very fond of despite its lack of fragrance. My viburnum doesn't have the great berries or fall color that many currently in-favor varieties boast, but it is loaded with sweet, blushed flowers at just about the time in the year you want to start opening windows. The only mock orange I have right now is a variegated one--very attractive, and so far it's flowered lightly though it's still young. A place like Forest Farm or other exhaustive catalog can give rundowns on different varieties.

Bookmark   January 12, 2005 at 10:11AM
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

Buddleia 'Lochinch' has sky blue flowers with an orange eye. The flowers are not as big as others, say 'Black Knight', but bloom continuously until hard frost. I don't think it dies back either.

The small leaved lilac has dark pink flowers. It blooms later than Syringa vulgaris. It blooms very young. I got mine as 6" cuttings from a friend and the little cuttings bloomed the very next spring!

Bookmark   January 12, 2005 at 12:06PM
birdsnblooms

Butterfly bush...um, wish it was blooming now. Toni

Bookmark   January 13, 2005 at 12:04AM
tadeusz5(z5 il)

Azalea " Rosy Lights" or "Jane Abbott" when in Bloom-

Korean Spice Viburnum "Carlesii".

Bookmark   January 13, 2005 at 1:17AM
kevin_5(z5)

Vinurnum carlesii
Viburnum carlcephalum
Viburnum x burkwoodii
Daphne x burkwoodii
Calycanthis 'Athens'

Bookmark   January 13, 2005 at 11:20PM
tadeusz5(z5 il)

Kevin;

Viburnums?? could you expand on:
Which one has the strongest scent, and so on; Reading Dirr's does not shed a light as to which one I want to buy.

thks.

Bookmark   January 14, 2005 at 10:18AM
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

tadeusz,

There's a thread in the shrubs forum called 'Fragrant Viburnum Sniff-Off' where the scent of various viburnums
was discussed. It appears that's there was a tie between Korean Spice carlesii and judii.

Bookmark   January 14, 2005 at 11:54AM
jamlover(z4 Iowa)

Does anyone know ___is the compact v.carlesii compacta with a mature height of only 4 foot as fragrant as the foot taller Korean Spice?

Bookmark   January 17, 2005 at 11:46PM
kevin_5(z5)

Tad:

The V. carlesii hybrids duke it out with the V. x burkwoodii group for fragrance. Even the V. carlesii 'Compactum' packs a huge fragrant wallop for a small plant. I like my V. x burkwoodii 'Chenaultii' the best among the cultivars in these two groups. V. x juddii is also excellent. For best fragrance, and unfortunately the worst form, V. x carlcephalum is the absolute best to my nose. Any of these related types, though, is a pleasure to sniff. Pick your plant on size and overall form.

Bookmark   January 21, 2005 at 6:28PM
mike_in_kc(4)

Gotta be Korean Spice Viburnum for a 'knock your socks off' fragrance! We've had one at our last two houses ... one in Omaha where it can get as cold as -25° (if that's zone 4, I'd hate to be in zone 2 or 3!) and it never missed a year in blooming profusely. It will perform well, even in shade or partial shade!

Bookmark   January 26, 2005 at 5:34PM
dwk001(z5 IL)

Clethra alnifolia and its named varieties for July-August fragrant blooms.

Bookmark   January 28, 2005 at 11:10PM
mysteryrose(z5)

Jamlover: Don't forget mock orange; the scent is heavenly. I recommend Phildelphus coronaria variegata, which can be found at Arrowhead Alpines.

Bookmark   February 1, 2005 at 11:39AM
mysteryrose(z5)

Jamlover: A picture can be found below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Philadelphus coronaria variegata

Bookmark   February 1, 2005 at 7:53PM
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

mysteryrose, thanks for posting the link. Gorgeous mockorange. I planted a variegated one last year. Forgot now if it is the same cultivar. Hope it is as pretty.

Bookmark   February 1, 2005 at 8:35PM
Cyrus_McCorm(z5 IL)

Korean Spice Viburnum "Carlesii" is by far my favorite, and currently blooming right now in front of my house! I am wondering why of the 4 Carlesii I have in front, 3 have lots of blooms, and 1 of them is sporting just one small bloom!?! If I recall, that same shrub had 1 or no blooms last year. Is there anything I can do to encourage more blooms in the V.Carlesii for next year?

Bookmark   May 3, 2005 at 10:38PM
psnave(Z5KS)

Lilacs, Peonies, and of course, Roses~

Bookmark   May 4, 2005 at 1:24AM
More Discussions
Tree ID Please (Saint Louis, MO)
Any ideas? This post was edited by chinandega81 on...
chinandega81
WANTED: Chicago Area Traders?
Anyone in the Chicago Area interested in doing a spring...
vhinkes
clay soil-yellowish plant leaves
I have Indiana clay soil that hasnt been worked in...
muddy_mom
Need evergreen suggestions for planting bed
I really like the design of this evergreen bed. Does...
mememare
Columnar fastigiate screening tree recommendations
hello! I'm wondering if members have recommendations...
SchnooMom
Sponsored Products
Area Rug: Camille Sable Pumpkin 3' 2" x 5' 5"
$79.97 | Home Depot
Fangio Lighting Lamps 29.5 in. Madison Bronze Metal Table Lamp 1396MB
$95.68 | Home Depot
Potter Post Light
Lightology
Bocci | 21.5 Five Pendant Chandelier
YLighting
Green Groovy Blooms Garden Pick
$6.99 | zulily