Color on Astilbe: Reinland and Visions

CassandraJuly 25, 2006

I had 6 astilbe planted last fall by Linders in a front garden re-do: Visions on the south facing side and Reinland on the east facing side. Both are in a mix of sun/shade. Here in late July and despite the drought they are growing beautifully and are clearly very healthy. However, the color on both types is not vibrant but faded looking. One is supposed to be a beautiful purple and one pink (can't remember which is which at the moment) but both are a very light rusty color and not feathery at all. Does anyone know why? Someone suggested to me that they haven't bloomed fully yet so the color will develop. I do notice that some of the smaller, almost hidden buds do have the vibrant color, but not the dominant flowers.

In checking to see whether this question had been answered before, I did find a similar post from last May--but no answers. I am confident that Linders sold me the correct plants but I'm new to this so don't know what to expect. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
virginia_w(z3 WI)

Visions comes in several colors, so I'm not sure which one you have. Actually, Visions is not feathery. The flowers are quite a bit thicker than most astilbes. I like it because the flowers seem to last longer than the feathery types. Mine were sort of dull this year too. Maybe it is the drought. In past years, they have been striking. In fact I planted more because they looked so good at this time of the year. Maybe next year will be better :)
Virginia

Bookmark   July 25, 2006 at 4:05PM
avidaloca(z4 mn)

I was unhappy with the color of my astilbe this year also.
Guess it just wasnt their year.....I find this happening with other flowers also.
Donna

Bookmark   July 25, 2006 at 5:10PM
sjmarq(z4 MN)

Yes, mine were dull this year too and dried out dull brown much faster than years past. I'd guess your brownish ones are done blooming - they were probably prettier when newly unfurled but didn't hold the color. Gardening - an adventure in change.

Bookmark   July 26, 2006 at 11:46AM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

This is very weird, I was the one that posted that my Astilbe just didn't have much color. Guess what, this year they had great color. Go figure.

Bookmark   July 27, 2006 at 7:48AM
julie_mn(z4 MN Henn)

Mine as well do not have the color to the blooms nor a convincing robustness to the foliage this year- I do believe most of my astilbe have done their best performance when the weather has been much cooler and more moist.
Although- the Goat's Beard Aruncus sent out the most lovely plumes this spring much to my surprise- They have always bloomed in the fall before- I do hope to get a repeat bloom this fall- but if things don't cool off and moisten up soon- I can see where many plants will be shutting down early this year-

Bookmark   July 31, 2006 at 11:40AM
More Discussions
Peach Trees in Minnesota
I've heard of some people successfully growing peach...
rkinsella
how late can I divide?
Hi all, Here's a question from your neighbor in North...
prairie_love
What's the productive lifespan of Zuchinni and Squash in MN?
I'm working in a community garden and of course there...
srj19
Help ID'ing blue flowers
Some of you may remember my neighbor, Sara, who was...
jel48
Log Home for sale
We are going to be putting our home on the market soon...
doucanoe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™