Help ID'ing blue flowers

jel48(Z4 Michigan)July 23, 2007

Some of you may remember my neighbor, Sara, who was at the swap at my home the first week of June. She has some plants that have just started to bloom and she called me over to ask if I knew whether these were weeks or flowers. I say flowers! But, I can't ID them. They don't appear to be wildflowers, as they aren't on any of the online wildflower sources (including the MN DNR) that I checked out, and they're not in my MN wildflower book. So, I thought I'd ask you guys :-)

The blossums look kind of like forget-me-nots but this is a bigger, sturdier plant. The plants are about knee height (on me) or a bit taller. The leaves are not shiny.

Does anyone recognize them? Sara doesn't think they came from the swap, because they're not in the bed she planted the swap plants in. She has no idea where they came from. This was a new flower bed that they hauled in topsoil for, so they could be anything.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duluthinbloomz4

One of the forget-me-nots, I'm sure. Myosotis Alpestris maybe? Alpestris blooms are clustered on a stalk and the leaf shape looks right.

Bookmark   July 23, 2007 at 5:33PM
leaveswave(.)

They look just like the chinese forget me nots in my garden. They are an annual and reseed in unlikely places.

Bookmark   July 24, 2007 at 7:56AM
tedb_threecedarfarm(Z4/5)

I agree with chinese forget me nots. I think the latin is cynoglossum amabile.

Ted

Bookmark   July 24, 2007 at 8:11PM
julie_mn(z4 MN Henn)

Yep- Cynoglossum amabile, Chinese Forget me not.

Bookmark   July 25, 2007 at 7:59PM
jel48(Z4 Michigan)

Thanks Everybody! I'd say we have a positive ID :-) The seeds must have been in the topsoil that Sara put in that raised garden bed last summer.

Bookmark   July 26, 2007 at 12:13AM
Bondelabrenshell

LOL...I was absolutely swimming in them all summer...and now their seeds are stuck to every sweater I wore in fall.

Bookmark   November 22, 2014 at 4:14PM
More Discussions
Peach Trees in Minnesota
I've heard of some people successfully growing peach...
rkinsella
apple trees
What should you do to keep apples from insects when...
andrew414141
What would you plant here?
Hi, I have a new house and I'm trying to get the foundation...
zone4newby
Log Home for sale
We are going to be putting our home on the market soon...
doucanoe
clivia
I have a huge yellow clivia for free
lonemuchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™