Blue hosta ID confusion....

woodyoak zone 5 Canada(5b)July 18, 2014

I moved a chunk of big blue hosta into the front garden two years ago to smother out some couchgrass that was trying to creep in. This year the hosta has put on some size - and has been blooming spectacularly! Which has drawn my attention to the flowers on the big blue ones around the patio.... And it has become clear that some of these things are not what I thought they were based on the tags they came with! For instance, I thought both the big blue ones side by side on the north side of the patio were Bressingham Blue. Earlier in the year they looked much the same but now, having noticed that their flowers are different, I also notice that their leaves are considerably different from each other now compared to what they were in the spring. I think this one is Bressingham Blue...:

...because the flowers (while starting to fade now) look much like those on this one elsewhere in the garden which is also supposed to be Bressingham Blue:

This one that sits beside the Bressingham Blue on the patio is now clearly different in both flower and leaf shape:

It looks very much like this one near the end of the adjacent side of the patio. This one was supposed to be Elegans:

It was a division of that one that I moved to a full sun position in the front garden where it has been blooming fabulously - it made sense of a comment I read recently in a book by Christopher Lloyd that implied he grew hostas for their flowers. This one is making a nice contribution to the front flower garden now:

I posted these two pictures here earlier in the spring - the differences between the various big blue ones are less obvious - to me at least! - in these pictures:

It doesn't really matter a lot to me which names go with what - other than it makes me look a bit stupid when people ask and I don't know! :-) What is your opinion on the right names for these?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hostahosta

Differentiating the big blue ones is difficult, I think. Many are so similar. I can't help you except to say, I agree they are different. Actually, I was just getting ready to post a pic of one I think I got mislabeled.

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 4:11PM
stoc zone 6 sweden

Whatever they are,you sure have some beautiful hostas there.

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 6:08PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

the second one has pointed leaves.. compared to the first.. which usually leads me to blue angel ...

but as noted above... a blue hosta without a name tag.. is a blue hosta... we love guessing... but not many fit the ten foot rule.. where there is no confusion as to what they are ...

but they are surely well grown.. congrats...

ken

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 6:27PM
woodyoak zone 5 Canada(5b)

I love this big blue beasts, whatever their names are... And now I won't feel bad about not being sure what they are - thank you.

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 8:32PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Woodyoaks, I remember your lovely garden, so pleased to see you come back with these photos of hosta in bloom. Those are giant sized alright! Impressive. Your observations are the best proof of what you have. Hopefully one day I'll have at least ONE big blue, think it could be Blue Angel, although it was a Lowes purchase which makes the actual name a toss-up. At least it had no HVX and it looks healthy.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 11:15AM
More Discussions
What have we ordered?
So far I have gotten a few new ones. What have you...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
Whatever happened to...?
I did a google search for Rob Canning (is that his...
Babka NorCal 9b
Hd are you kidding?
I just got an email from Home Depot pushing hosta plants...
Jon 6a SE MA
Hosta choice - comments please
Thinking about either Humpback Whale or Blue Angel...
mxk3
Spring Pips Showing-time span from first plant to last?
Especially for those of you with a large amount of...
santamiller
Sponsored Products
Blue Green Rectangular Cocktail Table, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Sovet Italia | Rubino Rectangular Coffee Table, 44 X 36
YLiving.com
Bobo LED Sconce by Bruck Lighting Systems
$304.80 | Lumens
8'x10' Washed Out Handmade Oriental Rug Sky Blue Oushak 100% Wool Sh19721
1800 Get A Rug
Safavieh Handmade Heritage Shahi Brown/ Blue Wool Runner (2'3 x 14')
Overstock.com
Blue Medallions Runner 2'6" x 10'
$229.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™