2012 expensive plants

finchelover(5b-6)January 10, 2012

Has anyone noticed by looking thru their catalogs how much more plants are this year plus there is postage..that is really making me think about what I am buying for this

spring or will see if I can find locally

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
franknjim

I am a shop for value kind of guy so I usually won't pay full retail price for anything unless I just have to have it. You might consider joining a plant Coop. You can get most plants at wholesale prices. Do a search online for "BnP Plant Buying Coop". I am a member of it and have bought around 100 varieties of tissue cultures hostas through it plus other things for a fraction of the cost that others pay. They hold coops all year for all types of perennials and sometimes tropicals. You can even get certain things before they go to market. One of the ladies that runs the coop is Woodthrush here on GW. She usually hangs out in the hosta forum, especially the hosta exchanges part.

Bookmark   February 3, 2012 at 11:45AM
cheerpeople

Local fundraiser plant sales are a great deal as long as you research how invasive the stuff is before you plant it.

There are a few garden group sales in towns around here where the plants are $3 to $5 and you know they are going to work in your zone. Ask you local master gardener group for the places to hit this spring.

I have gotten some lovely shrubs etc for $3 to $5 :)

I have been in that coop that was mentioned. I'm not anymore.

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 9:23PM
windy1979(6)

I live in the St. Louis area and I use Craigslist. I just do a search for plants and have found a lot of local people who grow and sell their own plants for a fraction of the cost. I have also found out about local garden club sales and people selling plants at local farmers markets all on Craigslist! I check it every couple of days, you usually see more post near the weekends.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 2:24AM
More Discussions
looking for strong fragrance in garden
I am in Chicago zone 5 and am looking to plant something...
both
Ruby falls redbud
I just purchased a ruby falls red bud and I'm a zone...
greenygar
WANTED: Chicago Area Exchange Meetup
I'm going to try to get everyone here to meet up and...
zubdog
Columnar fastigiate screening tree recommendations
hello! I'm wondering if members have recommendations...
SchnooMom
Too late to plant grass in Kansas city area?
I have several patches in my yard that need to be reseeded....
megs1082
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™