Butterfly's!

jennypat Zone 3b NW MN(Zone 3b NW MN)July 12, 2013

I just realized that I have not seen one, not ONE butterfly in my yard this year! I looked at my notes and pictures from previous years. Last year I had monarch caterpillers on my milkweed June 6th. That same day I took pictures of a butterfly and at sphinx moth on my salvia. This is normal! I usually have lots of both of them!

I know last year was warm and things were early, and this year is cold and things are later. But NO butterfly's??? It seems really odd to me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
garystpaul(4)

There was an article in the Strib recently (today, maybe?) about the paucity of butterflies this season. Good read.

Gary

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 8:01PM
doucanoe

Have seen a fex Mourning Cloaks and White Admirals, but aside from that not much else.

Usually by this time we have boatloads of Tiger and Black Swallowtails, Monarchs and Giant Swallowtails plus a few Commas and Fritillaries.

My neighbor gets a lot of large moths such as Polyphemus and Luna, but he commented to me last week he hasn't seen any of those this year yet.

Linda

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 7:55PM
sandysgardens

I've had a couple tiger swallowtails, and a viceroy over the past couple weeks; A monarch showed up this past Sunday and was hanging on the milkweed....... Hoping to see more now!!

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 7:06AM
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

Saw my first monarchs yesterday. Hoping they will lay eggs on the milkweeds in my gardens.

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 1:32PM
salpal(4)

I had heard on mpr that the monarch population had "crashed" nationally, due to drought last summer along with the typical prob (pesticide use, loss of natural habitat, etc). I heard the population was down in overwintering butterflies in south/central america. I have tons of milkweeds and have yet to see a monarch. Good if some are seeing them, we need to help build the population back. If we aren't seeing swallowtails etc (I'm not) probably the drought affected them too. I miss them all!!!

Bookmark   July 25, 2013 at 10:40AM
More Discussions
Hot Pepper Spray questions: making, affect on taste, effectivenes
Hi, I'm considering making some hot pepper spray to...
srj19
Help ID'ing blue flowers
Some of you may remember my neighbor, Sara, who was...
jel48
Minnesota Apples
Photo shows what I harvested today from the orchard...
soilent_green
Wildflower seeds for Mn gardeners
I'm offering free seeds for Mn folks(and other upper...
dandy_line
Low Hedge as a Snow Fence?
We have a long sidewalk from the house to the garage....
dlynettef
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™