Small tree for Shady back yard

beckye_gardenerJuly 14, 2010

I am looking for a small tree or a shrub I can train to a small tree to give some height in my back yard. I would ideally like something that is 10-15 tall and about the same width. My yard is small with a 5' privacy fence around the perimeter. The yard is fairly shady little direct sun but not dark due to a neighbors elm.

I like Japanese Maple however the folks at Bachmann's and Gerten's have dissuaded me from this beautiful zone 5 tree. I wonder if I could train an elderberry to a tree form or if there is some other tree or shrub that would work.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leaveswave(.)

If your height requirement is a strict one, you'll probably need to be prepared to prune.

There are Korean maples that are more hardy and almost as beautiful as the J. ones.

One suggestion, depending on just how much sun you get: pagoda dogwood

Also, check on the online plant selector, linked below... (don't forget to pick 'woody' not 'herbaceous')

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Elements of Design

Bookmark   July 15, 2010 at 12:12PM
kaptainkr(4a)

In my yard I've planted a few smaller trees. A Japanese Tree Lilac, an Amur Maackia and I also have Tiger Eyes sumac which will get 6-8 feet tall. I am not sure how they will perform in shade. Have you looked into some of the Magnolia's? The link below is from the U of M extension and cites a few of their recommended trees.

Here is a link that might be useful: Small Trees

Bookmark   July 15, 2010 at 1:45PM
paul_in_mn(4b)

MN Redbud - an understory tree so will handle the shade, may get a bit bigger but talk to your nursery people and see what they think. Also Pagoda Dogwood.

Paul

Bookmark   July 15, 2010 at 5:44PM
rubybaby43(z4 MN/n. metro)

We have a Pagoda Dogwood that didn't fare so well in our sunny front yard (not because of the sun, I'm sure). But we had to cut one side of it back and it didn't look good. So we moved it to our very shady backyard. It's slow growing back there but blooms and has regained a beautiful shape. It's been there for about four years and is about 5 feet tall.

Kristy :)

Bookmark   July 15, 2010 at 11:41PM
leaveswave(.)

Pagoda dogwood prefers part shade to full sun; it's more of an understory tree. In more sun it is susceptible to golden canker, which can destroy the tree, if not addressed. You can read about it at the U of MN Extension website or do a general search on .edu sites.

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 3:59PM
tom_mn(z4b_MN)

Bachmans and Gertens are conservative stores. I have the Japanese maple Emperor 1, planted in 2004, and it is now 12' tall. And I live in the suburbs, not as protected as in the city. I also have some healthy blue hollies.

Go to Highland Nursery on W 7th in St Paul where they have a more exciting selection of plants than the stodgy nurseries.

Bookmark   July 31, 2010 at 11:33AM
More Discussions
Seed Saving Workshop- rescheduled
Learn how to save seed correctly without misinformation...
little_minnie
Log Home for sale
We are going to be putting our home on the market soon...
doucanoe
Any Minnesotans out there?
These posts r so old! Is there anyone out there ready...
dreamingofmygardens
Hot Pepper Spray questions: making, affect on taste, effectivenes
Hi, I'm considering making some hot pepper spray to...
srj19
clivia
I have a huge yellow clivia for free
lonemuchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™