Older no ID

miketropicJuly 14, 2014

I was gifted some of these a few years ago and they have grown well. They get some pretty good sizes leaves , bigger than my hand and are a green on emerging and then a green/gold as the season goes on. They have large white fragrant flowers. I know the person I got them from had them at least 10 years before I got them so there a bit older..Any Ideas on an ID?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DelawareDonna(7A)

I'm saying Fried Bananas because of the large green to yellow leaves and large white flowers.

DD

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 4:35PM
DonnaDelaware(7A)

Fried Bananas

DD

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 4:45PM
josephines123 z5 ON Canada

My gut instantly said PLANTAGINEA! Large white flowers is a great hint. They should be anywhere around 4-6" long.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 5:02PM
miketropic

They were moved this year so might not flower but if they do ill get a pic. Is fried bananas at least 10 years old?

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 5:21PM

Fried Bananas, Solberg 1994.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 5:30PM
hostas_for_barb

I'm not very good at this but it looks like my Plantaginea. It is very common and I was gifted mine as well. Fragrant white flowers in August.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 9:21PM
evermore_gw z 4/5 NB

Royal Standard. It's out of the plantaginia family of fragrant hostas which all bloom in August. If it's the grand-daddy plantaginia it will have blooms of about 6 inches long. But the more common Royal Standard has shorter blooms. Ken used to post a chart showing all the lengths of these August bloomers. Maybe he will do so again this year. He's the expert.

Steve

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 2:46PM
ThistleAndMaize(Zone 5a- Eastern IA)

Looks like my Plantaginea - that green, the leaf shape, the upright vase shape. Somehow I ended up with many of these in my garden beds - I split and move them around all the time because I use them as fillers in new beds while waiting for new hostas to mature and fill out.

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 3:18PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

without doubt.. if P ... then 6 inch flowers ... nothing shorter than 6 for P ... ever .. or its not P

EVERY OTHER fragrant white is smaller ...

its hard on pix.. to compare greens ... if apple... but not 6 ... probably royal standard.. man this thing clumps faster than cat litter.. lol ...

if FB .... might be a touch yellower... later in the season ... its just not the granny apple green of P ...

also.. a lot of the guacamole clan.. seem to have a glaucous coating... a dull leaf... rather than the shiny P ...

seems like a masonic code with all the abbreviations ... lol

ken

ps: a lot of what we think are white flowers ... have a very subtle tinge of purple.. either in bud.. or just after opening ... which very quickly fades to all white .... you cant just look at it once.. and declare it WHITE ... there are relatively very few true white flowered hosta ...

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 4:09PM
More Discussions
i will miss the freak
phil the hostafreak passed on 12/4 ... an aneurysm...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Anyone get Flickr photos to work?
I've read through the attempts at getting photos to...
funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
DUD hosta of 2014
Following the 2014 Top Gun thread, I thought I'd post...
Pips in Sweden
I think the USA got our winter by mistake this year...
stoc zone 6 sweden
GardenWeb Houzz coupling
What is going on?! Nasty. Anyway, Paula_b_gardener...
paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™