Pruning Night Blooming Cereus

millie33October 3, 2007

I am taking care of my 95 year old mother's night blooming cereus. She has no idea how old this plant is . We have just had 3 beautiful blooms and 1 more bud on its way. The plant is very tall and unwieldly. Can someone tell me how to prune this back? Please be very specific because I have no idea what to do.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
evonnestoryteller(5-6)

I don't have a night blooming cereus, I wish I did though! It is my understanding that they blossom off the old growths, so you don't want to be to excited to cut it back or cut back too much.

Maybe this will help:

Quote: cereus get to be big, very big cacti. this is their nature and pruning should be limited to side branches to keep the plant in proportion. if you cut a main branch it will scar and look terrible unless this is done at the base of the cactus. most likely where a cut is made new branches will form off of its sides.

if the plant gets to be just too big, i would suggest you cut side branches, let them air dry in shade during the warmth of a summer's week and then plant. they readily root and you will be able to grow multiple plants to replace the big, big momma. branches you want to root will sunburn on sides not previously exposed to the sun.

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/bbs/posts/3363.html

Bookmark   November 9, 2007 at 12:00PM
More Discussions
Evening-Scented Stock
Very early last spring i planted a bunch of old seeds...
spazplant
bush moonflowers
I have been looking for bush moonflower seed if anyone...
theresa200
Datura Inoxia White Moonflowers
Anyone who would like to grow these magnificent plants...
pitbullt
Why doesn't my night blooming jasmine fill the air with scent?
It has bloomed a couple of times now, but the scent...
sunrisegirl
My Moonflowers!! :'(
So I finally got around to planting moonflowers along...
Thrice
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™