Seeking Midwest (Kansas) Gardening Advice

jndvasquez(z9 RGValley, TX)February 19, 2006

Hello,

I've got a brother up in Emporia, Kansas who is in the process of building a garden for his wife. They are both new to gardening so I would like to find out if there are specific books someone could recommend on Midwest/Kansas gardening. The main focus of their garden would be vegetables and perennials. From what I understand, it's an area with just grass on it & he's managed to till it about 2 inches and work in some manure.

Thank you,

Nancy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katielovesdogs(z5b/6a Indiana)

I used to live in Kansas in Manhattan which is just north of Emporia. They don't get a lot of rain, so he'll save himself a lot of work if he plants drought tolerant plants. Daylilies, salvia, sedum, daisies, lamium, dianthus, lamb's ear, yarrow, coreopsis, coneflower, blanketflower, penstemon,and hardy geranium all do very well.

Emporia is surrounded by feedlots. I bet that your brother can get a ton of manure for little or no cost. I would also tell him to add a bunch of leaves, too.

Tracy diSabato-Aust has a terrific book, The Well Tended Perennial Garden.

Good luck!
Katie

Bookmark   February 20, 2006 at 6:23PM
jndvasquez(z9 RGValley, TX)

Thanks Katie---He's got the manure worked into the dirt. I'll pass on this advice as well as the book you recommended.

Thanks again,
Nancy

Bookmark   February 20, 2006 at 9:11PM
flowergirl70ks

I live in DodgeCity, Ks. Get him the book, Gardening in the Heartland, by Rachel Snyder. she is the former editer of Flower and Garden magazine and this book will tell him everything he needs to know.

Bookmark   March 21, 2006 at 8:37AM
More Discussions
moving perennials with some disease
Bought a hydrangea very cheap this summer ... Cheap...
dan_in_winfield
Volunteer plants from annuals not hardy to zone
I posted in the impatiens forum about my shock of finding...
fieldofflowers
Mystery Perennial blooming now in KC
I don't often see a perennial blooming this late in...
slimwhitman
Tree ID Please (Saint Louis, MO)
Any ideas? This post was edited by chinandega81 on...
chinandega81
Ruby falls redbud
I just purchased a ruby falls red bud and I'm a zone...
greenygar
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™