My bur oak

snowguy716July 5, 2008

I bought a Bur Oak last year from a local nursery. It's about 1.5 in dbh and about 12 feet tall and was grown in a pot. I wouldn't have bought it except it was such a great price.

Anyway, I noticed the foliage was lighter colored than normal bur oak foliage, so I planted it, and then in the fall I worked some bone meal into the soil.

Well, this spring (which was about a month late), the buds swelled and turned green and the leaves just started to emerge and then they stopped... and here it is July and they haven't gone any further.

I've checked and it is still juicy green under the bark. I've kept it watered about once every 5 days (we have very sandy soil) and I have it mulched... but nothing further has happened.

I think it *may* have been two frosts we had at the end of May.. would they have killed the new leaves? The natural bur oaks around were late to emerge, but they didn't seem to be affected by this...

Any ideas?

I haven't seen any sprouts coming up from the base, so either the tree is just dormant and taking its time or it is so far gone that it can't even send up a sprout...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hostaholic2 z 4, MN

Wish I knew what to tell you. It sounds as though it's still alive. I think if it were me, I would call my county extension agent and talk to them, maybe even have them come out and take a look.

Bookmark   July 7, 2008 at 11:34PM
heleninramsey

I agree with hostaholic...if the darn thing is going to die, then at least you can (if you have one) return it in time to be replaced by warranty. Or perhaps they may tell you to hang in there it will be fine. I don't know tons about trees, but I do think that the buds should have survived the frosts, it's not like it is a marginal variety of tree. Good luck, wish I knew more...Helen.

Bookmark   July 8, 2008 at 9:01AM
snowguy716

Well, the two things that are possibilities are

1) There was a thick infestation of Mile-a-minute growing around the base of the tree... and no matter how much I pull and pull and pull.. it just comes back. So I put some more mulch on it yesterday in a wider (a good 5' across now) and put it to about 3" deep. There is a chemical in mile-a-minute that prevents other plants from growing around it. I really doubt this is it, though.

2) The other bur oak saplings I planted have just been leafing out in the past 2 weeks. I don't know if they were forming roots under the soil or what was going on.. but the bigger tree could be experiencing hte same transplant shock and thus the later emergence.

I'll have to call the SWCD and see what they have to say.

Bookmark   July 10, 2008 at 7:32PM
More Discussions
Have you grown foxglove or sweetpea from seed?
I was wondering, have any of you grown these from seed?...
primgal36
how late can I divide?
Hi all, Here's a question from your neighbor in North...
prairie_love
Wildflower seeds for Mn gardeners
I'm offering free seeds for Mn folks(and other upper...
dandy_line
Help ID'ing blue flowers
Some of you may remember my neighbor, Sara, who was...
jel48
Minnesota Apples
Photo shows what I harvested today from the orchard...
soilent_green
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™