Native Shrub and Tree - how close to house is ok?

akleJanuary 3, 2011

Hi

I am in Los Angeles in Zone 10 (inland) and have a 1920s bungalow. I'm thinking of planting a Mexican Elderberry (Sambucus Mexicana) and a Birch Leaf Mountain Mahogany (Cercocarpus betuloides var. betuloides) to the east of the house, next to a cinder block fence. It would get partial sun (2 hours below 8 feet high and 5 hours above 8 feet high. Is planting it 6 feet from the house safe for the foundation? I read on UFEI (www.ufei.org) that it has low rot damage potential so hoping this could work. On the UFEI site, it says roots rarely damage foundations but I have heard of problems.

Thanks,

Ari

Here is a link that might be useful: UFEI - root damage

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

In addition to potential root damage, consider the mature width of the plants. If the Cercocarpus gets wider than 12 at maturity then you will have to prune it to keep it away from the house and that will affect it's shape. More work for you and not so good for the plant either.

So research the mature width and divide by two - that would be the distance from the house at a minimum. If 10 feet, then divided by 2 equals 5 feet and therefore planting it six feet away is ok.

Bookmark   January 3, 2011 at 11:00AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ben8772

I wonder if the elderberry might get a little large to be that close to the house. I just checked a couple of sources and saw mature widths of 12 to 20 feet, which fits with the general I have from noticing them in the wild.

Bookmark   February 2, 2011 at 12:46AM
More Discussions
Id. plant
Help with the name , please
bromelia2010
Is it cheating to use varieties that were bread from natives?
For example, instead of native Itea virginica, using...
gribbleton
Mountain Mint/Pycnanthemum questions
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Hoary...
topie
Avoiding Spreading Invasive Beetles
I was trying to find sassafras, which it turns out...
edlincoln
Photos of Natives on Tumblr
Hi all, I have a small (1/4 acre) woods here in Minnesota....
misterpatrick
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™