First experience with mail order

kcbarbara(z5KS)March 30, 2008

With the help of some other posters here, I took the jump into mail-order plant buying. I just finished putting in an order with High Country Gardens and have my fingers crossed for healthy, decently sized plants.

This year I bought seeds online too and was disappointed in the supplier. I purchased from Thompson-Morgan and while they shipped very quickly, I was dismayed at the low number of seeds in each packet. Yes, the number is displayed at ordering time but either I missed it or I underestimated how far (or not far) 50 seeds would go. Let's hope for decent germination so that all is not lost.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hummersteve

Kcbarbara-- Sometimes it takes a little spending to get started , but at least once you have grown plants you can reap the seeds and have them for yourself or friends. There are forums that you can get free seeds , the best one being the hummingbird forum where the most it may cost is postage. Im going to leave a link, just try hanging out there for a while, there is a lot going on and there are people on there right now offering seeds.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: hummingbird forum network 54

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 10:00AM
kcbarbara(z5KS)

Thank you, Steve. I'm hoping that your scenario plays out for me --that I can reap my own seeds and have enough for my uses and to trade. I've dipped into the trade forums but not having anything to offer, I felt sorta stymied.

I should give a shout out of thanks to Trudi at the WS forum for her free seed offer. I sent for them and WS'd a bunch of them. It was fun getting seeds for plants that I'd never even heard of, much less considered.

Barbara

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 11:15AM
hummersteve

Barbara--- I was in the same pickle you are with nothing to trade but the people are friendly and willing to help, because everyone starts from ground zero and it surprises you that they will just send you sends to help you get started, good luck---Steve

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 12:47PM
More Discussions
WANTED: Chicago Area Exchange Meetup
I'm going to try to get everyone here to meet up and...
zubdog
Too late to plant grass in Kansas city area?
I have several patches in my yard that need to be reseeded....
megs1082
Transplanting peonies, hydrangea now?
I would like to move some peonies and plant one hydrangea....
dan_in_winfield
WANTED: Chicago Area Traders?
Anyone in the Chicago Area interested in doing a spring...
vhinkes
Good source for cold hardy Bald Cypress?
I've read Bald Cypress is capable of growing in the...
Pontederia
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™