Aunt Dee Wisteria

chris32599(9b-10a AZ usa)August 3, 2005

I bought an 1 gal Aunt Dee wisteria from Colorado last year for my garden in the mts. It grew will this summer, but how many years before I will see any flowers?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MinnesotaSue_z4(western MN)

I have had one for about 10-12 years, I lost count, anyway....mine has bloomed twice. I can never figure out what I am doing wrong. I just have 2 clematis growing through it so I get flowers in that area every year.

Bookmark   August 3, 2005 at 2:16PM
leaveswave(.)

It has been reported to take sometimes as many as ten years to bloom. This plant responds better to "tough love", for example, don't fertilize it. I found a great guide on the 'net to pruning to encourage flowering and it worked well for me. But I think I have a generally happy plant; last year mine bloomed four times and this year twice so far.

I see you live in quite a different zone and climate, so I'm not sure how that would affect things.

Bookmark   August 3, 2005 at 6:11PM
chogus

I just bought an Aunt Dee myself (Wisteria macrostachya) which I plan to place on the south side of my house as I've read they need full sun. I've also read that they require regular pruning in order to promote blossoming. Excessive green growth inhibits flowering. I just read an article about an Aunt Dee in Maine which was loaded with blooms its 3rd year thanks to regular pruning. So, good luck (to us both)! :)

Bookmark   May 15, 2006 at 11:27PM
jonathan406

I have five 10 ft. high Aunt Dee wisteria plants growing on the south side of our pergola. This is their 3rd year. They all had a few blooms this spring. About 3 weeks ago one of the plants began to turn pale green/yellow. Now the leaves are curling up and dying. The stem looks fine. Nothing has changed for this plant. Do you have any ideas what might cause this plant to get sick and what I might do to restore it to health?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Bookmark   June 30, 2010 at 12:36PM
More Discussions
Any Minnesotans out there?
These posts r so old! Is there anyone out there ready...
dreamingofmygardens
apple trees
What should you do to keep apples from insects when...
andrew414141
Late Summer Garden Swap???
Anyone interested in a late summer/early autumn garden...
KittyWitty
clivia
I have a huge yellow clivia for free
lonemuchow
Minnesota Apples
Photo shows what I harvested today from the orchard...
soilent_green
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™