snails???

dfox(z6 KS)March 16, 2005

I have dealt with Grubs before in my lawn but I have just come from my flower bed and my coreopsis (sp) bed is completely wiped out and I see lots of snail shells. Is this a type of grub and what can I use to stop them from munching on the flower roots? I know now that when I treated my lawn for grubs, I should have also treated the flower beds and they probably just pick up and move to greener pastures! Thanks for any advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dirtdiver(6)

I used to have snails. Now I have slugs. But the controls, I believe, are pretty much the same. If you're not willing to go on nightly snail raids or set up beer traps (google "slugs" and "beer" and you'll probably get lots of good hits, plus maybe a few about guys watching televised sports), you can go get a product like Sluggo. It's iron sulfite or something like that, and it's not toxic to much beyond slugs and snails--it eventually breaks down and might actually be good for the soil. I don't think slugs and snails munch all that much on roots (unless they're semi-exposed like through the drainage holes of a pot) so much as eat tender foliage, but I could be wrong on that.

Bookmark   March 22, 2005 at 9:37AM
countrylvng(z5ill)

For my slugs which should work for your snails I just save my egg shells . Just rinse good and crush and spread where needed they just seem to go off for softer pastures. Hope this helps

Bookmark   April 1, 2005 at 9:20PM
smom40(5MO)

If you can get it, try cocoa mulch. Their little pseudopods don't like the sharp edges. I never had a problem with any plant that I used this on back home.

Or use Sluggo and be done with it.

Bookmark   April 4, 2005 at 11:56PM
thebordercollie(5a Chicago)

I have heard that copper strips literally electrocute and kill slugs. I am sick of the slugs in my hostas and I am thinking of putting a copper strip around that bed.
http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=61_179&products_id=1833

Bookmark   April 13, 2005 at 1:21PM
flwrpowr

I had my best (least invasive) experience last year by not following the instructions on the slug bait I bought. Instead of spreading slug bait around each hosta as directed, I set out a few small 5" diameter split branches and sprinkled the bait around them and any other surfaces the slugs might want to take refuge under like stepping stones, logs, etc. It saved a lot on the cost of the buggetta because I used so little and was more effective. I also used pine straw as a mulch which on its own has never shown much of a deterrant effect for me. The idea is not to attract slugs to your plants by putting a ring of bait around them. Good luck!

Bookmark   April 21, 2005 at 12:12PM
flwrpowr

I just reread your post. That's curious about the snail shells. Do you think something could be eating the snails and damaging the roots while it's hunting for them? Shrews maybe? I can't post another follow up so I had to start this over. Sorry

Bookmark   April 21, 2005 at 12:20PM
More Discussions
Please name this plant
Bought a home and this is growing in the yard in several...
snowburd
Cukes and Dill
Good Morning! Does anyone have a good estimate of when...
PalmieJill
Garden Soil Naperville area
Looking for a bulk supplier of "Garden Soil",...
prariegardner
Transplanting peonies, hydrangea now?
I would like to move some peonies and plant one hydrangea....
dan_in_winfield
ID needed
These plants are growing wild in the alley behind my...
dellis326 (Danny)
Sponsored Products
Edushape Melody Snaily - 851003
$27.95 | Hayneedle
Pour House Slug Trap
| Dot & Bo
Horned Welk Canvas Wall Art by John Golden - ART036HN
$67.99 | Hayneedle
Snail Shell Outdoor Wall Art
Grandin Road
Maria Dolors Snail Tongs by Alessi
$16.00 | Lumens