Saw some quince fruit at the MN State Fair this week!

nick_b79(4/5 Southeast MN)August 27, 2013

The sign said this was the first time they'd ever been shown at the fair. What pissed me off to no end was that I had planted an Aromatnaya quince two years ago that was growing very well, only to see it killed this spring by gophers eating the roots! That could have been my quince fruit up there! :-(

Anyway, I didn't see a specific variety listed on the placard. Does anyone else know what variety this might have been? I was going to replace my quince tree next spring (and buy some gopher poison), but want to know if there's a better choice than the Aromatnaya for our climate.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jel48(Z4 Michigan)

That's very interesting! I don't have any suggestions (and no longer live in MN). I'm on the Keweenaw Peninsula on the Michigan U.P. and our climate is a little more moderate. We planted two quince bushes this past spring and they seem to be doing well so far. I'd have to look at the tags though, to be able to tell you varieties, and of course have no history to go on yet and again, the slightly different climate. I'll be watching this thread with interest though!

Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 8:30AM
More Discussions
Help ID'ing blue flowers
Some of you may remember my neighbor, Sara, who was...
jel48
Hot Pepper Spray questions: making, affect on taste, effectivenes
Hi, I'm considering making some hot pepper spray to...
srj19
What to do with all of my Kale?
I grew kale for the first time and really have a beautiful...
vpeterson
apple trees
What should you do to keep apples from insects when...
andrew414141
Favorite hardy roses
I want to add another rose to my garden, so I'd love...
stpaulite
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™