Hosta Vulcan

LesinMD(7)July 28, 2014

I recently purchased a one-gallon specimen of "Vulcan", whose pure white centers were spectacular. It has done well in its first months, with 5-6 new leaves appearing from the center. However, the new leaves are NOT white in the center; they are a Chartreusse green, with the darker green outer edges.

Is this a normal growth pattern for Vulcan?

Will the new leaves turn pure white? If so, how long does this take?

Or has my plant reverted to a predecessor?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
garyz6ohio

No, this is normal growth for your plant and you should be highly grateful for it! This "greening" is allowing the plant to produce and store food for the Winter. Its what makes it such a strong grower for a "white centered" hosta that are notoriously poor growers otherwise. I think you will happy with this hosta, especially in the Spring when it will have increased in size for you. Have a great day. Gary

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 6:31PM
Babka NorCal 9b

The new leaves (whether in Spring with the flush, or as with yours on the second flush of growth) on many hostas unfurl green, then take on their distinctive colors over time. For some it is just a week or so, and for others it takes a month. I just looked at my Vulcan and all the new growth is just as you described. Yes, they will turn white for you this year.

Edit: The green to white is called ALBESCENCE.

Enjoy your new Vulcan. It was that crisp white and dark green that made me get that one too. It is beaut!

-Babka

This post was edited by Babka on Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 13:13

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 8:04PM
funnthsun z7A - Southern VA

Actually, I think Gary's talking about Albescence and I think he's right. When they are green, they are storing more energy than when white. If they didn't have that green stage, they would not be good growers.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 11:29PM
Babka NorCal 9b

Oooooops! Yes you are right. ALBESCENCE it is! Chemo brain here. Sorry, Gary.

-Babka

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 1:22AM
garyz6ohio

Babka - Don't worry about it.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 6:29AM
LesinMD(7)

Thank all of you who responded to my query. I fell in love with the large white center of the leaves of this Hosta and wanted to be sure the new growth was normal (which I did suspect). I'm not new to Hosta culture, although until I became Chair of our Condo Landscaping Committee I did not have the opportunity to explore varieties beyond the common ones planted by past and present residents. But as I've learned quickly, there are so many MORE wonderful sizes, colors, shapes, growth structure (I've recently also purchased "Praying Hands" - a novel growth habit).

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 1:26PM
More Discussions
Hi, guys!
I’ve been reading the hosta forum for a couple of...
jajoana
First Victim
Had put a few precautionary pellets about a while ago...
frugaljon z8 UK
What's looking good in your garden this week?
I'm afraid I'll miss the pipping going on in my hosta...
Moccasin
What have we ordered?
So far I have gotten a few new ones. What have you...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
mulch around hostas. leaves, etc.
I have always read that you need to clean up the hostas...
steelskies
Sponsored Products
Artisan Handmade Copper Brown Sprinkler
$79.50 | FRONTGATE
Artisan Handmade Copper Hosta Sprinkler
$89.50 | FRONTGATE
Artisan Handmade Copper Gladiolus Sprinkler
$129.00 | FRONTGATE
Celebration Medallion Design Coir/ Rubber Outdoor Mat
Overstock.com
Artisan Handmade Copper Hibiscus Sprinkler
$99.50 | FRONTGATE