Sambucus nigra 'Gerda' or 'Eva'

garystpaul(4)August 11, 2013

Anyone have experience with this large shrub? I was initially interested in sambucus nigra 'black lace' but it doesn't seem to be reliably hardy in the Twin Cities, at least according to the Linders website. Gertens lists a black lace variety with the name 'Eva', supposedly hardy to Zone 4. If anyone has grown these, I'd love to hear.

Gary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

I have had sambucus nigra 'Eva' 'Black Lace' in my garden since 2008. The initially small plant has been a slow grower and was eaten by deer/rabbits during the winter/early spring until I started putting chicken wire fencing around it for the winter. This year it is about 30-36" tall and bloomed.

It is growing next to a fir tree so has competition for water. I rake some mulched leaves at the base and water late into the fall.

Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 6:35AM
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

Just came back from a wedding reception at a farm here in South Dakota. There were three large black lace elderberry shrubs that were almost five feet high and at least that wide. She told me that they die down to the ground every winter. Think it is time for me to move mine to a more open area with less root competition. That means the back yard away from the maples and fir tree out front.

Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 9:19PM
garystpaul(4)

Well, I don't need any more rabbit food in my garden, but it sure looks like a nice plant. Thanks for the info, mnwsgal.

Gary

Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 9:56AM
More Discussions
Looking for narrow shrub that can handle part shade and dry soil
Hello, My husband and I have a privacy screen made...
brian_forney
Help ID'ing blue flowers
Some of you may remember my neighbor, Sara, who was...
jel48
Favorite hardy roses
I want to add another rose to my garden, so I'd love...
stpaulite
apple trees
What should you do to keep apples from insects when...
andrew414141
how late can I divide?
Hi all, Here's a question from your neighbor in North...
prairie_love
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™