Fruits native to California?

mamalinda(MonterreyBayCA)January 25, 2011

Hi everyone,

My son was recently told in his social studies class that there were no fruits in California prior to the arrival of Europeans. I find that hard to believe. I'm imagining that what the teacher meant was that the fruits that we think of today (i.e. apples, oranges, bananas, etc.) didn't exist here then. But NO fruits?

So, I'm wondering if any of you knowledgeable folk know what the native fruits of California are (were - if they're no longer).

Thanks so much!

Linda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Oh goodness. I don't think there isn't a place in the North American continent that doesn't have some rubus that grows there. Rubus is the genus that blackberries and raspberries are in. Check the usda link for rubus to see what species were native to the west coast. And of course there are strawberries as well. See the usda page for fragaria (strawberry) as well.

And if we are speaking botanically, fruits are produced on all manner of plants. See the wikipedia page on fruits for the definition. But I'm assuming he meant fruits we eat.

There are many foods native to the New World and so I'm sure there are other fruits. I included a link below that includes some of them. You can dig a little to see if any were native to the west coast.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: New World Foods

Bookmark   January 26, 2011 at 8:35AM
countrycarolyn(6-7nwTN)

Vaccinium genus is another, blueberries.

There is a huge difference between introduced and native. I think his teacher might need a little information, but at the same time if the text books are teaching this mess then it might not be the teachers fault. Though the teacher should be mature enough to point out the mistakes in the books.

Bookmark   January 26, 2011 at 7:29PM
Ben8772

California has a huge variety of native berry-like fruits -- the most recognizable as edible would be our two species of grape and probably half-a-dozen species of currant/gooseberry (the Ribes genus).

Getting into the more distinctively "Californian" plants with potentially edible fruits, I can think of toyon and elderberry (both of which can be poisonous if mishandled), madrone, the various manzanitas, sugarbush and lemonade berry... these are just the more common ones in southern California. I'm sure there are plenty more that are rare or are more common in other parts of the state.

Bookmark   February 2, 2011 at 12:26AM
More Discussions
Native Evergreen Shrubs
There seems to be a real shortage of species that fit...
jigsawearth
Elm scale
I planted a Princeton Elm in my front yard 2 years...
aew75
Is it cheating to use varieties that were bread from natives?
For example, instead of native Itea virginica, using...
gribbleton
Redring Milkweed seed availability for 2014
Hi Folks, I received seed of Asclepias variegata (Redring...
wildflowerman_2000
Recommendations for native conifers
Which native conifers would you recommend planting...
tomp123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™