Japanese Red Maple

joelle55113(4)August 7, 2005

Does anyone know of a Japanese red maple that would withstand the winters in Minnesota? I would just love one in my garden but they are pricey and don't usually survive our cold. Thank you. Joelle

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
firethorn(Zone 4 MN)

I don't know if they have special protections for it, but the arboretum grows a type called acer palmatum. I suppose you could call them and ask? It's very pretty.

Bookmark   August 7, 2005 at 5:36PM
leftwood(z4a MN)

Notice that one is growing in a pot. Over the winter they bring it into a barn or somewhere protected. But ther are some. Greenthumb(Mike) has a cultivar that seems to stand up quite well. Can't remember what it is though.
Rick

Bookmark   August 8, 2005 at 6:53PM
Greenthumb(Zone 5a, MN)

My Acer palmatum Robinson's Red has done very well in my garden. The tree has seen -25°F without damage and the tree is in one of THE most exposed spots in my yard. I protect the tree with a cylinder of 4' tall chicken wire covered with burlap, and that's it. I do not put anything inside the chicken wire enclosure. The root zone is well mulched.

Robinson's Red is a seed-grown selection from a tree growing in Ohio, at Girard's Nursery, and since the tree is seed-grown I am not putting the name in single quotes. Girard's is the only source I know for the tree. Girard's did not list the tree for sale this year.

I have provided a link to Girard's web site, below.
Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Girard Nurseries

Bookmark   August 8, 2005 at 10:38PM
laurampls(4 MN)

I have an Emporer I that I planted last fall and it made it through the dreadful winter with virtually no snow cover (Mpls). It is planted close to the house in a sheltered nook on the south side, shaded some of the day in winter. I put about 15" of shredded oak leaves around it but did not protect the upper branches (it was about 24" tall when I planted it. It looks terrific and has grown a lot this summer.

Bookmark   August 13, 2005 at 10:45PM
denny_2006

I have a Burgandy Lace Japanese Maple for sale. It has withstood Maryland winters for 18 years. It is in excellent condition. It stands 9 foot tall with a 9 foot span. If interested contact me.

Bookmark   December 17, 2006 at 8:43AM
parrotslave

I keep hoping that global warming will change us from a zone 4 to a zone 5 so I can put in some Japanese Maples.

I've tried a few other zone 5 plants in the yard in the past 10 years and they are all doing well with no steps taken to protect them from the cold.

Bookmark   December 31, 2006 at 1:32PM
tom_mn(z4b_MN)

I have had an Emperor I since May '03 and it is now 7 feet tall. It does not die back at all, grows fast and is vigorous, but I did have to cover it twice in May '05 to protect the new leaves from frost. I would say that it is happy in the Twin Cities, not marginal at all.

Bookmark   January 26, 2007 at 7:13PM
tedb_threecedarfarm(Z4/5)

I think a protected spot anywhere within the Twin Cities is worth trying a Japanese maple. I know of ine growing well in Prospect Park and on in Bryn Mawr. I've heard 'Bloodgood' is a hardy selection. Klemn's Song Sparrow Farm in southern WI has a good selection.

Korean maple is a great alternative but I don't think there is a red leaved variety.

Ted

Bookmark   February 1, 2007 at 4:07PM
parrotslave

My red dragon Japaese maple arrived this week. It was a bit disheartening when it arrived, just an eight inch twig with a wisp of tiny red leaves on one end. I paid that much for a twig?!?!

I dug a $1000 dollar hole (Always dig a $1000 hole for a $1 plant.) and planted the twig in a somewhat sheltered, somewhat shaded location.

It really likes its new home. Two days later and there are twice the number of leaves and noticeable growth.

I have hope.

Bookmark   May 13, 2007 at 6:24AM
ginkgonut(4)

I took the plunge on an Emperor I the other day. I found some reasonably priced ones in town and could not resist. It should be a nice protected spot during the winter and is slow to warm up in the spring. We'll see.

Bookmark   May 13, 2007 at 8:32AM
More Discussions
Any Minnesotans out there?
These posts r so old! Is there anyone out there ready...
dreamingofmygardens
Log Home for sale
We are going to be putting our home on the market soon...
doucanoe
Looking for narrow shrub that can handle part shade and dry soil
Hello, My husband and I have a privacy screen made...
brian_forney
Kelley Farm seed exchange free 3/8/15
Kelley Farm between Elk River and Ramsey will have...
little_minnie
Favorite hardy roses
I want to add another rose to my garden, so I'd love...
stpaulite
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™