Fall Planted Perennials From Seeds or Plants?

elleni(4a)August 27, 2008

Even thought I have ordered way too many plants for this Fall, I want more. But I am wondering if I should save some money and buy seeds for some perennials instead of more plants. It occurred to me that many of the small plants I am buying are probably first years anyway!

What perennials can I sow in the garden this Fall and get a reasonable showing next Spring/Summer? I have no interest in Winter sowing or starting plants indoors in the Spring. I just want to pop the seeds out this Fall and leave them to fend for themselves!

Suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dandy_line(3B (Brainerd, Mn))

Well, I just seeded some Lychnis this afternoon. The Stokes seed package says that Aug 21 is the time to seed it. Also, if you see all the Rudbeckia popping up every year, all that seed got started the previous fall. In fact, there must be lots more species that want to germ in the fall. I just can't think of anymore right now.
But think of the fun you can have if you start seeds indoors next spring. Start planning now and get your seeds by Jan 1.

Bookmark   August 28, 2008 at 5:44PM
elleni(4a)

Hum, Lychnis... I have never heard of that. I'll have to look it up. I wish I had the patience to start and tend little sprouts indoors, but I know the tender things will suffer from my late Winter neglect. I had been thinking of seeing if Delphiniums would work sown outside in the Fall, but gave in today and ordered three plants with a credit I had a one of the online shops. I *think* I have some False Indigo seeds from a shrub I pasted walking around the neighborhood recently. And I have a pile of Purple Pasque Flower seeds from my own garden. I'll try both of those this Fall, I think.

Any thing else?

Bookmark   August 28, 2008 at 7:58PM
jel48(Z4 Michigan)

Hi Elinni. You might want to check out the GW Winter Sowing forum. It's the simplest way to start perennials for next year. Very little work and very little patience needed. Several people here on the MN forum do it and will probably chime in. Read the FAQ at the Winter Sowing forum then ask questions, either there or here. I've done it myself and it works great!

Bookmark   August 29, 2008 at 10:59AM
More Discussions
Seed catalog time
Over the past two weeks a whole lot of seed and nursery...
OldDutch
Help ID'ing blue flowers
Some of you may remember my neighbor, Sara, who was...
jel48
how late can I divide?
Hi all, Here's a question from your neighbor in North...
prairie_love
Have you grown foxglove or sweetpea from seed?
I was wondering, have any of you grown these from seed?...
primgal36
What to do with all of my Kale?
I grew kale for the first time and really have a beautiful...
vpeterson
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™