Opinions: Last frost yes or no?

arrick(Z5b LaGrange IL)April 27, 2007

This is one of my favorite (or sometimes frustrating) games to play in spring.. and with our roller coaster weather this year - who says we've had our last frost and who says we're still in for a late one this year?

In my area our average last frost date was 2 days ago (4/25)... and I say we've had our last frost. but who says yea or nay for their area?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladybutterfly(5 Chgo)

I'm in Chicago. I think we had our last frost...might get a bit cold but no more frost. I hope!!:)

Bookmark   April 27, 2007 at 12:05PM
kterlep(5/6)

I'm in Princeton. 10 day forecast has lowest temp of about 45...I need my new tomato/pepper raised bed to get dry enough to till, and have to remove the sod from a place I want to plant an allium bed and a squash/melon/pumpkin patch...I've been waiting for the dirt to dry!

Off topic - this is my first time gardening in illinois - there are these white larvae under the sod, they have feet in the front and reddish heads. Are they cicaidas? There are so many of them!!!!

Bookmark   April 27, 2007 at 1:29PM
arrick(Z5b LaGrange IL)

depends on how big. I have seen cicada larvae, but they are usually deep - 8-10 inches or so. And at least a couple inches long. could also just be nasty grubs.

Bookmark   April 27, 2007 at 3:07PM
katielovesdogs(z5b/6a Indiana)

The avergae last frost day means that you have a 50% chance of having a frost after that date. I would wait another week or two until your frost free date. That's the dat at which you will have a frost only about 10% of the time.

Bookmark   April 28, 2007 at 11:16AM
More Discussions
moving perennials with some disease
Bought a hydrangea very cheap this summer ... Cheap...
dan_in_winfield
Flowering Orchid
I have a house plant that my mother had started and...
junefarmgirl
Too late to plant grass in Kansas city area?
I have several patches in my yard that need to be reseeded....
M V
Illinois seedlings help!
Hello this is my second year growing seeds indoors...
satami00
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™