Nettles

simplegreenguyFebruary 19, 2011

Hello I am looking for a source of stinging nettle roots or rhyzomes. I would like to add them to our edible wild plant garden. Any info would be great!!! Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Urtica dioica or stinging nettle is not native to North America. You'd be best to direct queries about that one to the Herbs forum but since I'm one of the regulars there, I'll answer here.

You can find stinging nettle seed at most vendors that sell medicinal herb seed. Plants only at the few that specialize in herb plants. Try Horizon Herbs or Richters for plants.

Of note, stinging nettle is not a friendly plant. It will "bite." Do not plant it any place you want to walk near or weed near. And most people on this forum would consider stinging nettle an invasive, alien species and would not encourage its planting. I would suggest looking to see if there are others in your nearby area looking to get rid of nettle before buying and planting any yourself. I've gotten HEAPS of nettle that way.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   February 19, 2011 at 10:22AM
lycopus(z5 NY)

The subspecies gracilis is native to North America. Some older references call it U. gracilis or U. procera or otherwise consider it a variety of U. dioica. The native subspecies tends to be more slender with subcordate or rounded leaf bases, and fewer stinging hairs. The European subspecies has leaves that are deeply cordate at the base.

Not something I would consider invasive since nettles prefer disturbed waste ground that is high in nitrogen, although it is widely regarded as a weed. Some other places to look for it is along trails, on floodplains, and where old fields border woods.

Bookmark   February 19, 2011 at 8:55PM
simplegreenguy

Thanks for the nice response. After reading more about them Im not sure I want them in my yard . I will look in my area so I can just harvest some leaves.

Bookmark   February 22, 2011 at 7:09AM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

An alternative to Stinging Nettle and an edible plant itself belonging to the same family, is Boehmeria cylindrica, or False Nettle. It does not have the stinging hairs, and is also a host plant for the Red Admiral butterfly.

Susan

Bookmark   February 22, 2011 at 8:12AM
shadylane5(5 North central Illinois)

I read in "Mother Earth" that gardeners use Stinging Nettles to add nitrogen into their soil. Thus said to give high leavels. Used in composting I'm guessing, for they do give a nasty welp.

Bookmark   March 15, 2011 at 11:37AM
annakiledj

Hi I need fresh nettles. Anyone has them?

Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 6:59PM
wisconsitom

Wood nettle-Laportea canadensis-is also a native version. And as some have pointed out, stinging nettle is indeed a native plant and is a required element in the landscape for some butterfly species.

Having said all that, there's nothing quite like an arm or a leg full of nettle stings on a hot, humid day. Place with care!

+oM

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 9:36AM
mosswitch

I keep a patch of nettles for the butterflies. But it isn't in a spot I weed for any reason, so I don't get into it. It hasn't increased much in size for the past dozen years or so, so I woudn't call it invasive. It's the native variety.

Sandy

Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 7:08PM
More Discussions
Mountain Mint/Pycnanthemum questions
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Hoary...
topie
Is this a native/what is this?
This spring-blooming, 1-2" tall bed of flowers:...
gribbleton
A couple beautiful natives
Any idea of what these are? I think the star is a...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
Which of these wildflowers will spread via roots to form colonies?
Hi, For the benefit of creating a useful list... Out...
njbiology
native plant sales for MD
First, a big thank-you to everyone who responded to...
charmed
Sponsored Products
Nettle Pink and Green 18 x 18 Floral Throw Pillow
$57.95 | Bellacor
Nettle Pink and Grey 18 x 18 Floral Throw Pillow
$57.95 | Bellacor
Flambeau Lighting Nettle Buffet Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Catnapper Nettles Polyester Chaise Rocker Recliner - 4737-2 1765-09
$659.00 | Hayneedle
Pet Ego Dermoprotective Lotion - G852
$19.99 | Hayneedle