question about dwarf burning bush

shorty68(5a)April 28, 2011

I want to plant bushes on the side of the house which has a western exposure. I live in zone 5. I would prefer something which does not require much watering nor pruning. Would dwarf burning bush work? What other bushes would work well which require not much maintenance?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Yardspace.org

Pretty much all bushes will require manintenance until they are established. After the first year you will be free and clear.
I would choose a bush that at least flowers. That said my neighbor has burning bushes at the side of his house and they do very well. But a dwarf lilac might work. Not a bush but a clematis always works at the side of the house, at least for me. A climbing hydrangea might work well or a viburnun. All the above will stand a few hours of shade.
Hope this helps.

Bookmark   April 29, 2011 at 5:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terryr(z5a IL)

Euonymus alata will need a lot of pruning. When we moved into this house, there were 3 on the N side. Under those 3 were thousands of tiny Euonymus alata. It gets berries on it. I shudder to think how many of our neighbors, far and wide, have because of those plants on the side of our house! We've gotten 3 Morus alba (white mulberry) trees so far and we've only lived in this house for 6 yrs!! I also pulled up a small Berberis thunbergii (Japanese barberry) from the S side of our house. I know neighbors up the street, to our N, have them. Birds again. We're also dealing with indian strawberries, I don't know the Latin name. I'm sure again, compliments of the birds.

Virginia Sweetspire (Itea virginica) would be a better choice than the Euonymus alata. 'Henry's Garnet' is a cultivar with reddish purple fall color. It's size is listed at 3' tall by 4' wide. Or any of the smaller viburnums would work too! :D

Bookmark   May 30, 2011 at 6:04PM
More Discussions
Ruby falls redbud
I just purchased a ruby falls red bud and I'm a zone...
greenygar
Too late to plant grass in Kansas city area?
I have several patches in my yard that need to be reseeded....
megs1082
Columnar fastigiate screening tree recommendations
hello! I'm wondering if members have recommendations...
SchnooMom
moving perennials with some disease
Bought a hydrangea very cheap this summer ... Cheap...
dan_in_winfield
Kansas City - here I come! (help pls.)
My husband and I are going to be moving to Kansas City...
aprilk
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™