amended some soil today

steeltowninwvJuly 8, 2014

its just a portion of the bed...I did another portion the other day a little bigger than this section pictured..i went to rent a tiller today and they wanted 75 bucks a day for rental feei think that is about ridiculous..and figured I would do it by hand....its very hard work and I hope it pays off..i basically dug this hole u see and mixed in compost and manure..and some grass clippings..then top dressed with composted manure

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sandysoil_2008(6 MA)

Hope anyone going into the outhouse doesn't tramp down any hostas!

Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 6:26PM
bkay2000

Steel, I've done a few flowerbeds like that. What I finally figured out was doing some "double digging". You've got your first hole dug. Now, you add the amendments to the hole you dug and add the soil from a similar size hole you dig to the left. Mix it all up with your amendments and you have that section completed. You have your next hole, dug, too. Add your amendments and start the next hole. You just keep moving to the left. When you get to the end of the bed, use the dirt from the first pile to finish up the last hole.

I looked up a couple of sites on double digging, but they way over complicate it. It saves handling the dirt over and over.

I re-read this and it doesn't make a lot of sense. Maybe looking it up is a good idea. A picture is worth a thousand words.

bk

Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 7:06PM
steeltowninwv

bkay that makes sense..but too late..but I will use that method next time

Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 7:42PM
More Discussions
Anyone wanna do Leaf shots? Hosta 'Dream Queen'
Who needs slo-poke 'Thunderbolt'? fwiw, hh
hostahillbilly
i will miss the freak
phil the hostafreak passed on 12/4 ... an aneurysm...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
NH hostas here
Doesn't look like much but in a month it will. Excited...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
is there a bacon forum .....?????
if there is.. i should have looked .. lol if there...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
HOSTAS TOXIC TO DOGS (and cats too)
I just discovered hostas are toxic to dogs. How did...
hostanista
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™