Anyone Growing Kiwi in MN

ForeverRecycleReuse(MN 4b)August 5, 2013

I noticed at one of our parking lot nurseries that they are selling female and male kiwi vines. Is anyone growing kiwi? I would greatly appreciate hearing about your experience.

Based on initial web browsing, I know that you need both a male and female vine. (1) male can pollinate several female vines. The male vine leaves are much more attractive in color display. The fruits will not be the fuzzy, brown kiwi skinned that you buy in the grocery store but rather a thin green skinned that does not require removal before consumption. The northern hardy varieties have smaller fruit size. Also mentioned is that cats seem to be attracted to these vines and will munch on them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
garystpaul(4)

I put in a male plant in early spring, hoping for some colorful foliage someday. The trick seems to be the right balance of sun and shade. Don't know that I hit the mark; time will tell.

Gary

Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 12:44PM
Mandy2000

I grew some in Southern Ontario, Canada. Just a little south of MN. I planted a female and male. The trellis I built was quite strong as was suggested online, there are trellis designs according to growing hardy kiwi. I too had difficulty with the male, didn't grow much, too shady I think. The female had more sun and grew very well. At the 3 yr mark when we moved to MN, the female was crossing the trellis and the male was barely touching the bottom of it:( I'm hoping to to try again here and give the male some more sun.

Bookmark   August 12, 2013 at 7:30PM
Maryna

So funny...
I was just researching the kiwi in MN myself last week. I think I am going to try it.
This was good resource for me: http://fruit.cfans.umn.edu/home-fruit/kiwi/

Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 1:14PM
Maryna

Check this one out guys
http://swissbeets.blogspot.com/2009/09/field-trip-kiwi-in-minnesota.html
I might be scheduling my own field trip there

Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 1:22PM
More Discussions
clivia
I have a huge yellow clivia for free
lonemuchow
Low Hedge as a Snow Fence?
We have a long sidewalk from the house to the garage....
dlynettef
Help ID'ing blue flowers
Some of you may remember my neighbor, Sara, who was...
jel48
Have you grown foxglove or sweetpea from seed?
I was wondering, have any of you grown these from seed?...
primgal36
Hot Pepper Spray questions: making, affect on taste, effectivenes
Hi, I'm considering making some hot pepper spray to...
srj19
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™